Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Here is a 5 month old white cockerel I kinda like.

Nice bird. I don't like any of my cockerels from this year at this point. Not sure why, but most of my cockerel's tails have not grown out. All of my cockerels are small compared to their parents and most have white wing feathers. I have several Cockerels from Privett that look OK but their tails are all high and the Privett birds have started to slowly die off just like the Ideal birds did. Honestly, not even sure if I made any progress this year.

This is where I had read it. Not saying its right or wrong just explaining my reason.

2. Protein equals rate of growth – Just as the amount of food consumed affects the rate at which a bird grows, so does the quality of the feed provided. Higher protein diets, up to 30% protein, are to be preferred for birds that have access to range and which are expected to grow at significant or reasonable rates. Low protein diets, 16% protein and lower, can reduce the rate of growth by as much as 50% and cause adult size to less than the genetic potential – not to mention that lower protein diets often cost more money in long run, as the birds will often eat more total pounds of feed for pounds gained.

I've read through a lot of the breed forums on this site and I have to say that Cubalaya keepers seem to be the most passionate about their breed! They are a beautiful bird. They are definitely a breed that I would love to keep but unfortunately, they're are no Cubalayas in Ireland and I'm not too sure if they exist on mainland Europe either.

I had read on the Livestock Conservancy website a couple years ago that heritage breeds need higher protein and they recommend the game bird over chick starters which is why I've always fed it. What rations do you use and at what ages?

southern states medicated chick starter for first 2 months, starter grower unmedicated for 2 months, layer pellets for everything else.

ok im off to another show im taking a large white hen, a bantam bbred hen, a young bantam bbred trio, a bantam spangled pullet, and a bantam spangled cockerl will tell how i did when i get back

ok im off to another show im taking a large white hen, a bantam bbred hen, a young bantam bbred trio, a bantam spangled pullet, and a bantam spangled cockerl will tell how i did when i get back

I wish you great success.
wee.gif

never mind about the show i went out to pack up and the ones i hade entered wernt in condition any more so they are all scrstched

Funny that the subject of protein has come up. Our animals are taking turns picking at two deer skeletons from last weekend. I hope they're pretty self regulating!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom