Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I sent Glenn some of my Cubalayas several years ago to help him improve the weight of his as they were getting pretty small: excellent type but small. By the weights you posted I'd say he accomplished his goal. 12 weeks and weights like that are simply excellent.

That's great news Doc...i thought the 3 pounder was exceptional but don't have much in the way of perspective. What breeding lines were Glenns birds comprised of prior to your infusion?

He had gotten birds from Craig; those were Rice and Courson birds. Later, Craig rec'd some Castignetti birds, but those were never shipped to Glenn. I think Glenn also rec'd birds from another source, but can't remember who it was right off.

The other source for the Sandhill Cubalayas was from Randy Stoneback. I was told that directly from Glenn. Mr. Stoneback no longer has Cubas, he is from eastern PA. I was introduced to him once by Mr. Bender at a livestock auction. This is where the whites and pyles came from. The Sandhill BB Reds originally came from Duane Urch, with later additions as mentioned above by Saladin. Glen has had them long enough now that they are his own line now. Size is good overall on the Sandhill birds, but many females tails are not true lobster tails. I would still recommend them highly, good birds but need a bit of fine tuning.

From front to back: 3 year old Brush cock, a blue red from gallorojo and a golden from Bender, the two in the back are both almost 1 year old.

Last edited:
Jonathan, that brush bird looks like gold to me. I got good compliments from the judge this weekend, Art Reiber. He said great color and great type... But niether was good enough to beat the darned Shamos here in CA. Suzann has a lot to be proud of. I may get a pair of cubas from Zook to boost my breeding program this year. Hope everyone is fairing well in this weather. It's been below freezing during the night here, several days in a row which is really unusual for our weather. From what I understand the storm comes down the pacific coastline, crosses the southern states and returns to canada in the east.

Last edited:
a brush bird, a bird from chris, and a bender bird. troyer bringing in some new blood
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom