Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

a brush bird, a bird from chris, and a bender bird. troyer bringing in some new blood
thumbsup.gif
highfive.gif
yesss.gif
highfive.gif

Here is a blue red bantam cock that I don't need. You pay the shipping and box and he's yours. The last picture is with flash. He is twice as big as he should be, has a big comb and has white in the tail.

Have some nearly month old chicks that have very recently begun to get curled toes. Can anyone explain why this is? Too hot, too cold? Too crowded? They are on chick feed, and did not start out with curled toes. They are healthy otherwise. Is this part of an inbreeding issue? The older two I have do not have curled toes. It is only 2 or 3 out of 10 that are showing these.

i noticed in an earlier pic of your chicks that they are not on paper, wood shavings, or wire. what you are using for them to walk on may be the problem. maybe you could ask the breeder if they have issues with this.

i noticed in an earlier pic of your chicks that they are not on paper, wood shavings, or wire. what you are using for them to walk on may be the problem. maybe you could ask the breeder if they have issues with this.

They are on a Rubbermaid, rubber shelf liner. That's what I use for my starting brooder ....a nonslip surface that's easily cleaned. I doubt if that's the problem.

maybe not but i would think the surface of that would get extremely hot. i use wire for the first 3-4 weeks. it makes their feet strong and they are not walking in their own waste because it falls through to a pan. then i put them on wood shavings until they don't need the heat lamp anymore. hopefully this year more of my hens will be doing this job for me and raise their own chicks.

In my experience curled toes resulted from incubator temps and also in one case hereditary. Also a hard surface such as newspaper did cause the toes to turn to the side, though not actually curl, with my chicks in the past . Chicks on wire or shavings or raised outside with brood hen do not have the problem.

Back
Top Bottom