Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

4hmom, if you can get some cubalaya from saladin, you should. he sent me some blacks a few years ago and i still have 3 of the original 4 still here. shared one with gallorojo and might let the other cock go this spring as i have a great stag growing out from last years hatch. the hens will never leave here.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my SH flock at 4 months old. The darker colored cockerel is very stout at 4 lbs but his color is not as vibrant and it looks like he has white starting in his ear lobes. His tail is shorter and held more upright than the other but is wider. The other is a full pound less at 3 lbs...is that still a decent weight for the age? The pullets are all 2lbs. I have two that have better tails than the other two.

I would like a critique by those in the know with the caveat that I know they are still very young. Thanks.

I am by no means as knowledgeable as others on this thread, but it is my understanding that tail carriage defines the breed. In general there are many points in need of breeding refinement, but without that downward sloping, below horizontal tail carriage it isn't worthy calling cubalaya.

So get the low tail first, then work on tail fullness, skin color, head shape, multiple spurs, size, etc.

Some strains don't drop their tails until they are 2 years of age. If every thing else is right they are worth keeping (not breeding yet) to see if they will drop; if so, then you have winners.

nice birds. just loaded the incubator up with white cubalaya, gold duckwing cubalaya, and a bunch of f3 wheaton cubalaya/asil/thai grades. after i get enough chicks on on the ground, i will have some 1/2cuba 1/2asil cocks if anyone need one.

Back
Top Bottom