Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Not sure what I am going to do, right now I am just happy to have a flock that gives me eggs. Here are some pictures

Boy in the back is now the top cockerel, blue and black pullets

Group pic, one is in the box laying

Top boy again, see the yellow dots in his feathers, what is that? It sure makes him pretty but not sure if it is allowed.

Last edited:
To RachaelS: here is a half brother to the rooster you had and a full brother to the "silver" eggs that didn't hatch. His tail feathers are still growing in from having been feather pecked.

Not sure what I am going to do, right now I am just happy to have a flock that gives me eggs. Here are some pictures

Boy in the back is now the top cockerel, blue and black pullets

Group pic, one is in the box laying
I really like the shading of the hackle on the cockerels and I especially like the blue wheaten pullet.

Last edited:
WOW Troyer he is amazing! Same huge chest!!! Sorry I could not keep your boy, it was a tough decision, but he is happy where he is now and will be used to improve that flock.

That blue girl is my fav also, not as far as looks because I don't really know what I am looking at, but for personality. She has decided we are best buds. Can't wait for her tail feathers to grow back in also. Their conditions were subpar and all had broken dirty tails, looking forward to seeing how they fully develop.

Rachael your birds may decide to make you a breeder. You have hens, and roosters...and cubalaya hens like to go broody. They are usually good sensible mothers, and only raise one or 2 broods a year.

Rachael your birds may decide to make you a breeder. You have hens, and roosters...and cubalaya hens like to go broody. They are usually good sensible mothers, and only raise one or 2 broods a year.

That made me laugh out loud!!! Y'all are pushers...

Maybe I can convince my son or daughter to get into 4H and show birds!

I had an observation and a question.

First, we had three straight days with air temps under zero in the morning and my Cubas endured it fine. I don't do supplemental heat and they hung right in there. Not only can they handle the humid Missouri summers but harsh winter conditions as well....impressive.

Second, I am in generation one of my breeding program with my Sandhill birds. The two cockerels I have each have issues. One has a cushion comb, the other white in the ear lobes. If I use either I will be seeing these down the road and trying to eliminate them in future generations. So do I go forward with them and cull against the traits or try to start with better cocks? Or will I likely be seeing these things anyway with different birds?

Since I'm just starting out, I'm trying to make the cleanest start I can. Thanks.

Troyer,
How in the world did you get that coloring? I am re-reading this thread from the start and so far I have not seen anything like him. Will the white in his chest go away after his first molt?

Back
Top Bottom