Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Mine do not breed true, neither are they true pyle, only the cocks/cockerels come with this red color. The hens and pullets are almost all a dirty looking black peppered white. I have had great difficulty getting hens that are white with a few black feathers mixed in to breed pure whites, but I'm slowly getting there with what I have. This is the father to the pyle cockerel. His coloring is brown red with two copies of dominate white and one copy of recessive white making him look like he does. In color his mother looks just like him and his father was black. Also in this molt he feathered in with what looks like an even more dirty color, with several golden feathers on his throat. It literally looks like he's been in very muddy conditions for several months. This picture was taken when he was eight months old, he is now 2 years old.

This pullet is this cock's daughter and a full sister to the red pyle.

Thanks so much for the info troyer. That sounds like what i was worried about.

Thanks for the answers saladin and cubalaya.

I think when i get into cubalaya id probably go with the silver duckwing or wheaten.

These are examples of the red Pyles that I have been working with, they do breed true. I have not offered any for sale because I feel that they need more improvement . I have made progress but there has been no overnight success . The pyle pullet is the one facing forward in a mixed pen.

I like the color pattern, and use BBR cocks over pyle hens to hopefully improve the pyles, so no I did not retain this pyle cockerel for breeding.

Last edited:
Here is a brown red that I am getting rid of. He is almost 8 months old. As you can see he has white in the tail. He is from a batch of 16 hen hatched chicks and has always been the biggest in the bunch. I have never weighed him but I expect him to easily reach 6 lbs. He could very well have 1 copy of the spangled gene although I cannot guarantee it. He has always carried his tail slightly above horizontal. His head is good and his tail should be wider but the one thing he would add to any breeding program is size. Breeding season is here and I still have way too many Cubalaya. You pay the shipping and box and he's yours.

Pullets are not for sale.

Here are his parents at 14 months old......

.....and here at 8 months old.

i rotated all my cocks yesterday. put my red pyle in with the wheaton hens, put a bb red in with the silver wheaton hens, put the white cock in with the black hens, put the black in with the whites, and also swapped cocks in the grade pens. planning on hatching a large amount of cubalayas this year. next i want to move the gold duckwing cock in with the wheatons and red pyle in with the whites. also have a big young black cock with huge tail going in the black pen.

Finally got some pics of the pullet I have. Please be critical. If she's dog food (not good color or type) so be it. She is not yet laying, but should be by the middle of Febuary.

Back
Top Bottom