Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Hi I'm new and decided to get in to cubalaya but wanted to start with hatchery and work my way up anything I need to know about Ideal's cubalaya besides the poor quality

I've ordered from Ideal a few times in the hopes of getting some Cubalayas. They were extremely delicate. Very, very easily chilled, and once they were uncomfortable they would keel over. Nothing survived to adulthood to see what sort of quality I was working with.

I've ordered other breeds from Ideal to play around with. Besides them just being hatchery birds, the other breeds were easy to raise. I'm not sure what the problem was.

I gave up after the last order and drove around the country to pick up Cubalayas from breeders, which is what I have been building a flock from ever since. More expensive, but I just considered it vacations to justify it (definitely cheaper than Disneyland, so justifiable, right?).

Other people have probably had more luck and will hopefully chime in with their own experiences.

By the way, ages ago there was a Cubalayas of America Association, but it faded away over time. I spoke to the person in charge of the website and he agreed to hand it over for me to work on and get back online.

It has taken forever and a day to get up and running (which I genuinely apologize for - I've been scrambling to make time between hatches, misadventures, and everything else). The logo has been tweaked and updated, and while the site design is sparse, as I get the time I'll try to make it a little more fancy.

I finally have a bare bones site set up. It isn't meant to be a full-fledged association at this point in time. I also purchased an additional domain name: cubalaya.org The original domain was cubalayaclub.org which should redirect to cubalaya.org

There are a lot of things I would love to see on the site. It's just that I don't yet know what those things are. It would be nice to have articles up to help people improve on their own flocks, as well as possibly a projects page to see what colors/projects people are working on.

Pictures are always great. I have a few from the previous site that will be going up, but there's always room for more.

Credit will be given for articles people would like to contribute, you're welcome to be listed on a soon-to-be-live directory of US breeders and shoppers to give people a better idea of where they can build their own flocks.

If you have any questions, comments, contributions, or criticisms, feel free to let me know.

And again, I apologize for the delay in kicking this off. Hopefully this spring it can begin to shine and really give people a sense of what the breed is all about (and why their lives aren't complete until they have a few in their own backyard).

If they are your first Cubalayas and they frustrate you, don't get discouraged. The flock I have has comfortably survived in -19 weather and are very heat tolerant. These are extremely hardy birds. So the delicate nature of the Ideal stock isn't normal for the breed.

If you are comfortable hatching out eggs then you can always go that route, as well. I'll probably have hatching eggs available in another few weeks.

As for starting your own line, that is definitely something you should aim for. The only real way for the breed to survive and improve is if plenty of people are striving toward that goal.

Once you get solid Cubalaya lines it's very hard to set them aside and work on other breeds. They have an incredible personality not found in Old English and tend to be a little easier and cheaper to maintain than Saipans. I think you will really enjoy them.

So ready for spring.

Good looking cockerel! What would his color be? Golden with grey and looks like red on the back.

JAT is very familiar. Do you ride dirt bikes by chance?
No, I don't do any dirt bike riding.

So ready for spring.

Good looking cockerel! What would his color be? Golden with grey and looks like red on the back.
He is a golden dun.

JAT is very familiar. Do you ride dirt bikes by chance?

Back
Top Bottom