Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
I would like to add a couple pictures, to distract myself from the tension of waiting on the incubator! The flock has found the hunting excellent with the early spring. The wheaten hen is so full her crop is pushing out her feathers, which is a good thing because she is finally getting her tail grown back after a hard molt. The white hen is barely visible behind the boulder, digging out something.

OK, I am looking at my chicks and shaking my head in wonder. All the different colors! The white babies that came out of pure cubalaya eggs have a few random spots - is that normal? Two have red on their faces. The eggs came from a white pair plus the wheaten hen, running with some Marans and RIR layers, no other roosters. I tried to set mostly just cubalayas - I put the others in to fill out the incubator, and the hatching has been closely observed to see who came out of what egg.

The only pure white chick came out of the cuckoo Marans' egg! My white cubalaya rooster is our only rooster on the premises. Right now I am trying to figure out how my flock magically produced babies that look like California White Leghorns!

So fellas, can we see some pictures of your cubalayas as chicks?

I second the request for cubalay chick pictures particularly BBR day old pics and some older BBR chick pics. I have BBR araucana and their wheaten color is the same as the cubalaya or supposed to be and as my chicks hatch I want to compare them to the cubalaya pics. Any help would be appreciated.

Lanae

The comment about the California white leghorns was about color, not combs - everyone hatched so far has a rose comb. Another interesting detail is these guys are born with a lot of the quills already on their wings, with tufts of feather at the tips. The one we watched hatch yesterday afternoon had these from the get-go.

Leg and beak color is the other thing. The shade of pink/orange on the white ones is sooo bright, it is hard to tell which color they will be.

woods and feathers , my whites came from sports from my red pyles. in fact i could cross brown reds with these sports and get pure whites. if you bred your white cock to a wheaton hen then you will probably get some red pyles. the black spotted ones or smokey one usually make the best whites when breeding. chicks may have yellow legs but should turn pinkish white or even bluish pink as they get older. i cull the ones that stay yellow. be patient and give them a chance.

Last edited:
Newly hatched BBR Cubalaya chicks hatched 3/28/12 by foster mother , mixed breed game hen. They are basicly yellow at this age.

Last edited:
Newly hatched BBR Cubalaya chicks hatched 3/28/12 by foster mother , mixed breed game hen. They are basicly yellow at this age.
Thank You,

I am hatching BBR chicks from my wheaten Araucana and they are yellow with dark head spots and sometimes a little bit of dark here and there on the body and was wondering if that was normal for the type of wheaten that the araucana and cubalaya are. I guess mine have other modifyer genes going on. I will have to watch how they grow out, to see if they are going to color correctly. This is my first year working with the wheatens I have in my flock so I need to take notes.

Lanae

I have put a ton of chick pictures on here previously, read back through the thread.
wink.png
BB Reds, and all the other duckwing variants- chicks should be plain yellow if they are pure for wheaten and are not carrying anything else-if they have stripes, spots, anything else, they have something else in there, like a melanizer, or mahogany, or some true BB Red, not wheaten. Whites should produce pure white or smoky grey chicks, spotted ones are not pure for white, they will end up leaking other colors, mostly black, and yes, will resemble california greys. Red pyles will also be white as chicks, or possibly yellow. Blacks will be black as chicks, brown reds and birchens will be also be black as chicks.
PS Cubalayas have pea combs, not rose combs. The comb on the white male pictured is nice, as long as it does not extend past the eye. It has a better shape than a lot of my combs.

Back
Top Bottom