Cuckoo Bluebar...

Pics
Maine!?! I love Maine!
The eggs arrived on Tuesday, I put them in the incubator last night...
along with some of my own, well, my hen's eggs. I'm looking at a September 30 hatch date.
I love the home grown chicks as they have such unique and beautiful colors but I couldn't resist the temptation of these blubars.
I also have a home grown hen that seems is be born to set, she is setting on her second batch this year, I hope she is not disappointed!

Did you get any cockerels hatch out of your batch of Cuckoo Bluebars? We got only one - crooked toes and a nasty temperament. The girls are all sweet. This one boy is a holy terror.

Could this come from the genetics? Are barred Hollands aggressive? (I ask because someone suggested Barred Hollands may be in the mix.) Or might there be a wilder breed in there?

We've had many roosters of various breeds and all ended up being sweet or tolerable. Not this one.

Sorry to report,
sad.png
I got nothing. Due to a power outage, only two home grown birds hatched but none of the bluebars. So very disappointing for my first purchase of fertile eggs.

Well, my Cuckoo Bluebar is almost 4 weeks old. I'm terrible at sex determination by my spidey sense thinks I have a roo. I'm really hoping I am wrong though, and she's pulling to good ole bait and switch on me.

Well, my Cuckoo Bluebar is almost 4 weeks old. I'm terrible at sex determination by my spidey sense thinks I have a roo. I'm really hoping I am wrong though, and she's pulling to good ole bait and switch on me.

This actually looks like a pullet. By now the roosters would have much larger and pinker combs.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

We bought and hatched 6 Cuckoo Bluebar eggs from My Pet Chicken. One roo and 5 hens that hatched from an incubator right around Halloween.

Friday night (4-8-16) our first Cuckoo Bluebar chick hatched from an egg from those parents.

Here is a photo. The chick is in the foreground and was hatched by, and is being raised by, our broody Bev Davis Black Marans hen along with two Marans chicks.

The Cuckoo Bluebar eggs were small, at first, but now some of them have attained quite a large size. I'm guessing that the fertility will prove to be quite high in these birds!

Alex,
What are they a cross of?
Maureen

Alex,
Here are our first two Cuckoo Bluebar chicks born of eggs we purchased & hatched from My Pet Chicken. One has a fairly distinct white spot on the head - the other has no spot at all - just a soft gray. This one likes to ride on momma's back.

Is the white spot indicative of a rooster? (We are raising these for my sister-in-law who is out of state and she can't have any roosters.)

Have you ever traveled with chicks on a plane? Are you aware of the regulations or do you have any tips for us for safe transport? We will be bringing them with us (hopefully) in early May.

It's amazing to me that the eggs we purchased hatched out @ October 31, they started laying eggs in early March and now their first chicks are hatching out in April. That's quite a production schedule!

I haven't forgotten to send the farm website link. We are still working on it - it has many moving parts. Should be ready in a few more weeks.

Thank you for any advice you can offer on the spot test.
Maureen

Alex,
Here are our first two Cuckoo Bluebar chicks born of eggs we purchased & hatched from My Pet Chicken. One has a fairly distinct white spot on the head - the other has no spot at all - just a soft gray. This one likes to ride on momma's back.

Is the white spot indicative of a rooster? (We are raising these for my sister-in-law who is out of state and she can't have any roosters.)

Have you ever traveled with chicks on a plane? Are you aware of the regulations or do you have any tips for us for safe transport? We will be bringing them with us (hopefully) in early May.

It's amazing to me that the eggs we purchased hatched out @ October 31, they started laying eggs in early March and now their first chicks are hatching out in April. That's quite a production schedule!

I haven't forgotten to send the farm website link. We are still working on it - it has many moving parts. Should be ready in a few more weeks.

Thank you for any advice you can offer on the spot test.
Maureen
Maureen,

I love the pictures. If you used CBB over CBB then all the chicks should have spots on their heads. I imagine that the one that doesn't have one....does but will be a lighter barring so it won't be visible until later. They look like they have a fantastic foster mom!

I'm so glad you are happy with their production, we really love them around the farm here!

I can't wait to see the website.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Maureen,

I love the pictures. If you used CBB over CBB then all the chicks should have spots on their heads. I imagine that the one that doesn't have one....does but will be a lighter barring so it won't be visible until later. They look like they have a fantastic foster mom!

I'm so glad you are happy with their production, we really love them around the farm here!

I can't wait to see the website.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Hi Alex,
Yes, we bred Cuckoo Bluebars over Cuckoo Bluebars. And yes, it's the lighter colored one that doesn't show yet. So that means that I won't be able to sex them until they are older? Have you had luck sexing by using wing feather lengths soon after birth?

The surrogate is Mummy Bird and she is the best mommy you could have as a chick. She's had several willing baby sitters, but right now she is on her own with them and loving it!

We are excited about our website, too. A few plug-in issues. But ready soon and I will send a link!
Thank you for the response. And, by the way - the CBB girls are each laying 1 egg every single day. :)

Back
Top Bottom