Cuckoo Bluebar...

Pics
Hi Alex,
Yes, we bred Cuckoo Bluebars over Cuckoo Bluebars. And yes, it's the lighter colored one that doesn't show yet. So that means that I won't be able to sex them until they are older? Have you had luck sexing by using wing feather lengths soon after birth?

The surrogate is Mummy Bird and she is the best mommy you could have as a chick. She's had several willing baby sitters, but right now she is on her own with them and loving it!

We are excited about our website, too. A few plug-in issues. But ready soon and I will send a link!
Thank you for the response. And, by the way - the CBB girls are each laying 1 egg every single day. :)
If I were to GUESS....I would say that you have a pair and that the rooster has the bigger dot. If it was my breeding program I would band the ones I thought were roosters when they hatch and then watch them as they grow out to see if I was correct. BlueXBlue is also going to get you some Barred Splash chicks, I imagine those will nearly impossible to sex when they hatch.

The breeds used aren't reliable feather sexers either. I'm sorry.

YAY, I'm glad they are laying so well for you!

Alex
My Pet Chicken

So these are my three cuckoo bluebars, hatched Thursday (2 days old). Does the spots on all of their heads mean they are all boys?

Well... Sadly, my spidey sense was right and we started crowing last week. Luckily, the person we got him from was willing to trade us for his sister... So, nooooow we have a lady. Of course, she wasn't handled in the way that ours was, so I'm hoping that she comes around. As for now, she is definitely anxious around us. Luckily, it didn't take much to have her fit in ok with the other 2 young-ins. No major altercations anyhow. It's funny how much it seemed obvious he was a Roo from the minute he got home. Just... A bit of a tool. I'd imagine him to be like that Chad guy on the Bachelorette...

Hello! I also bought hatching eggs from MyPetChicken. Two cuckoo bluebars (among others). Both hatched, and raised by my hen Livvy.

I KNOW the first one must be a cockerel (the comb is so huge, and developed very very early). But, the other one I'm not sure. Still a red comb, but no where near the size of its sibling. If I were to compare it to the other chick (different breeds) I would say cockerel because it's a lot bigger and redder, but if I were to compare it with the other cuckoo bluebar, I would say maybe pullet because it is only about half the size of its brothers. Would you be willing to give me your opinion?

This is the one I feel certain is a rooster. Am I right?

This is the one I need help on. I am not sure about the other one (pictured below). What do you think?

Yes the comb is red, but it doesn't look at all like the other one. And, is maybe a half or a third of the size. Also, has "hat" feathers coming out (is that a female trait?).

Same one younger (just more pics for you to compare):

And, just for fun I wanted to show you their pictures at day-old. Yours all seem to have a white dot on the head, mine both had red dots on their head.

Hello! I also bought hatching eggs from MyPetChicken. Two cuckoo bluebars (among others). Both hatched, and raised by my hen Livvy.

I KNOW the first one must be a cockerel (the comb is so huge, and developed very very early). But, the other one I'm not sure. Still a red comb, but no where near the size of its sibling. If I were to compare it to the other chick (different breeds) I would say cockerel because it's a lot bigger and redder, but if I were to compare it with the other cuckoo bluebar, I would say maybe pullet because it is only about half the size of its brothers. Would you be willing to give me your opinion?

This is the one I feel certain is a rooster. Am I right?

This is the one I need help on. I am not sure about the other one (pictured below). What do you think?

Yes the comb is red, but it doesn't look at all like the other one. And, is maybe a half or a third of the size. Also, has "hat" feathers coming out (is that a female trait?).

Same one younger (just more pics for you to compare):

And, just for fun I wanted to show you their pictures at day-old. Yours all seem to have a white dot on the head, mine both had red dots on their head.

At that age all of my pullets had TINY combs. See photo of Dora The Explorer.
The one cockerel is in back

From what I am tell from my experience, pretty much any red or obvious comb means you have a Roo. My pullet is about 20 weeks and doesn't have any comb or waddles. Hope that helps.

Oh, wow, I can see the difference. Yes, indeed, it does seem as if I've got two roos then. Thank you SO MUCH! Nice to find out earlier rather than later.

This one's definitely red, and it started turning red pretty early on. It's a lot smaller than the other, but still a definite comb.

So, that means out of my seven hatching eggs: 5 hatched (two were quitters) and no hens in the whole batch! Oh well, it was definitely worth the experience. We had a whole lot of fun, and learned a lot. But, we can't keep them all, so we'll begin the process of finding new homes for them.

Thanks again for your help!

These are my 5 week old (tomorrow) chicks. I *think* that Periwinkle (left) and Bluebell (middle) are pullets and Lilac (right) is a cockerel. Periwinkle and Bluebell are feathering earlier, and their crests are coming in. Lilac is just now feathering on the back of his head, and his crest is just starting to come in.

I have two cockerels and they are both horn dogs. Attack the hens in the coop. Hens are not ready to lay they are only three months old but that doesn't bother the boys. They just go after the hens and ripe out tail feather. I have blue bars in the bator right now hope I get all hens because the roosters will be sold.

Back
Top Bottom