Cuckoo Maran. Boy and girl?

thomaschickens

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
Washougal, WA
These are supposed to be both girls, but I'm 99% sure that the one on the left is a boy. They didn't want to stand up for pictures but (so far) no saddle feathers and straight tail feathers. They are 8 weeks old. Is there any way in the world that they are both girls lol
fl.gif
or that maybe one is a BR that was in the wrong bin?

On another note, does anyone else have issues with their cuckoo marans not being very friendly? All of my other breeds of babies are easily handled and come up to me. Not these two.

cuckoo marans should have white legs with or without feathers while barred rocks will have yellow legs with or with out a slate wash down the front of the legs

its a pair

Thanks Hdowden. That's what I was thinking too
sad.png
Does anyone know what the feed store will do since I'm way below their 90% accuracy rate between this one and 2 BLRW's that I got that are looking to be cockerels (out of 10 chicks)?

I agree, that's a male and female (males are significantly lighter). Hatcheries and feedstores are usually willing to give you more chicks if you get less than 90% female. Just give them a ring and let them know the situation. They will not, unfortunately, take the male back.

You have a pair of cuckoo marans. I traded my cockerel at 4 weeks of age for a female. It was very easy to determine the sex at an early age. Both cuckoo marans.

Male at 4 weeks
600262c2-01ad-a944.jpg

Female(Luna) at 4 weeks
600262c2-01d9-bb52.jpg

Female(Luna) at 7 weeks today
600262c2-023e-875a.jpg

600262c2-03c6-987b.jpg

Luna is very sweet to me and the other chicks. The boy(cuckoo) was a pain in the butt to the other chicks. He had roo behavior the day I brought him home. I kept him 2 weeks before trading him for Luna. She's very calm.

Last edited:
I agree, that's a male and female (males are significantly lighter). Hatcheries and feedstores are usually willing to give you more chicks if you get less than 90% female. Just give them a ring and let them know the situation. They will not, unfortunately, take the male back.

All depends on your store. Ours takes back cockerels and even roosters later on and re-sells them. Just have to ask and find out what your store's policy is or find a store that will help you out.

Thanks Starlover. I'm coming to grips with the fact that I've got qute a few roos in the henhouse
he.gif
I'm really disappointed that both of my BLRwyandottes are both boys (as they are just the sweetest things), but at least I got 1 maran pullet. And I'm pretty sure that my GLW are both girls too. Guess we'll be having lots of chicken dinners in a few more months
hit.gif

I know this is an old thread, but I'm replying to it with my question in the hopes that someone can help.

Our new Cuckoo Marans is about 10 days old and I'm worried she (?) might be a male.
I'm noticing some feathers on the top of her back that are rather surprising to me, and based on other pics I've seen in this forum and online, her (?) coloring does seem a little lighter.
I've attached a couple pics if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance!!

Back
Top Bottom