Cull laying hen or give her a second chance?

CathyB59

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
SE Montana
I need some input/advice. I have a 2 year old barred rock hen and 3 other assorted rock pullets that are 7 months old. The 2 year old hen is molting so she isn't laying right now. The pullets are all laying very nicely. So recently the hen started picking on one of the pullets. She wasn't drawing blood but it got to the point that it stressed out the pullet so she quit laying. So I separated the hen from the pullets and put her in a large dog crate. She's been in there for about 4 days now and the pullet just started laying again. My question: do I get rid of (put her in the stew pot) the laying hen or do I give her a second chance and put her back in with the pullets and see if she is over her dislike of the pullet? Now would be a good time to cull her since she's not laying. Don't get me wrong. I love my girls and I get very attached to them but if they don't lay or have other issues (aggression, illness), they go in the freezer.

Thanks for your input.
Cathy

They get irritable when molting. She may be lashing out because she's uncomfortable and wants to be left alone. I would put her back in with the flock and see what happens as she gets over her molt.

Back
Top Bottom