"CURB APEAL" How to make my coops more attractive to look at while being thrifty.

GingerRose

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2022
Alpine, Alabama
:barnie
Im sick of looking at my BLAH coops.
I have SO many options and have no idea where or even how to start.... I dont know why, because I am a "right hemisphere brain" thinker.. I am logical and analytical (left), I tend to problem solve and create more than debate and reflect... LoL, if that makes any sense..
Anyway, I really am sick of looking at my boring, basic coops. I have 2 bachelor pads (I know..... dont question why.... this is about making the coops attractive, not about why I have too many roos..), some Silkie flocks, and a Polish flock, all separated.
Each setup is the way it is because it is very easy, manageable, simple and they are much bigger than needed areas. Day perches, entertainment, shelters, a house, jungle gym type thing I made from sticks and vines, tee-pees, huts, dust baths, and grooming areas, solar lighting stragetically placed... Perfect on the inside for my chickens.
BUT, they are basic on the outside and boring...
My largest coop has a huge "hen house" which was a small wood shed/barn, its 12x20 inside. The outside is 50x120. There are about 30 Silkies in that coop, all hens, I think.
4 Coops are identical in size and housing side by side, but all 3 feet apart from each other... 25x75 : housing :
a Polish flock of 5
Black Silkie flock of 5
2 Silkie hens with total of 10 chicks of 2 months old.
16 Solid Black Polkie (PolishxSilkie) chicks of 3 months old. All of these coops have a big house, balcony off the side, day perch off of the balcony, car tires upright in the ground, stick tee-pees/huts, covered dust baths and grooming areas
Then I have 2 - 20x20 coops made from chain link dog kennels that are bachelor pads. Both with a nice house... everything the others have, just smaller in scale for room..
One has 4 roos, One has 5 roos.
Everything is predator proof, top to below the ground...
Its just not attractive at all.
I love my set up as far as maintaining.
I need some "curb appeal"...
I am not a big spender on "things". Feed quality, bird happiness and health is priority.
I am very creative and thrifty as well. I can make anything.
However, I can not "SEE" what to do for my chicken compound...
I would love some signs, garden type art, incorporate old yard/garden tools, outdoor mosaics, anything... Some color, vibrance, plants...
I just cant visualize what to do. I am afraid of it being junky, like Sanford and Son, or something like it.. although, that would be better than BLAH....
I have been rolling this around for months and I cant start anywhere because I never "create" for me, its always commissioned art , something to sell, or something to gift..
All I do for my people, I dont know my own style... or if I even have a style at all... Everyone who comes here tells me how they cant believe how basic my chicken compound is, because Im so creative..
shucks...
I need some help, direction, suggestions, advice, therapy, meds, weed... (joke) haha.
Seriously some photos would maybe inspire me...
I see all that on Pinterest, Etsy, and all... I dont want mass produced stuff, I want to get ideas from other BYC family, something yall came up with... Even the mass produced stuff could inspire me Im sure, but I wont purchase it, I will create it myself... I just cant see what direction to head in...
I just need a little nudge...
Im ready to do it...
Just stuck in the mud...
Please, yall inspire me!!!

Last edited:
Yeah some photos to spark an idea could really help. There may be a pirate ship or a choo choo train waiting to break out. But in lieu of any inspiration I'll give a generic idea. You fill in the details.

Paint it all barn green. That gives you a blank canvas. Then paint in a sunflower patch in one spot. Then do a patch of zinnias. Roses and marigolds are nice. Maybe a couple of hollyhocks. Create a flower garden. I'd exaggerate the size of the flowers so you can see them from a distance.

Then, to get some depth, cut out some bird silhouettes out of plywood and paint them, then attach them. You could do some oversized boring hummingbirds but pick some other birds of Alabama, maybe a Scarlet Tanager, an Indigo Bunting, or a Prothonotary Warbler. Or come up with your own birds.

The first suggestion I would make is natural things - plants! Consider your climate and hardiness zone for planting. Also, search to make certain the chickens won't devour the plantings/make certain non-toxic. After considering what thrives in your area and light exposure, determine if you want to outlay for established plantings or grow from seed. That is economical, and you can save the seeds each year (or not need to if perennials) Plantings around the coops and baskets or containers really spruce up ordinary. Next, yard art or statuaries. You can turn all sorts of things into garden art. (Do a quick search for homemade yard art for ideas) Next, stain or paint. This can add to a plain coop. a

Yeah some photos to spark an idea could really help. There may be a pirate ship or a choo choo train waiting to break out. But in lieu of any inspiration I'll give a generic idea. You fill in the details.

Paint it all barn green. That gives you a blank canvas. Then paint in a sunflower patch in one spot. Then do a patch of zinnias. Roses and marigolds are nice. Maybe a couple of hollyhocks. Create a flower garden. I'd exaggerate the size of the flowers so you can see them from a distance.

Then, to get some depth, cut out some bird silhouettes out of plywood and paint them, then attach them. You could do some oversized boring hummingbirds but pick some other birds of Alabama, maybe a Scarlet Tanager, an Indigo Bunting, or a Prothonotary Warbler. Or come up with your own birds.
I love this idea.

[...] Paint it all barn green. That gives you a blank canvas. Then paint in a sunflower patch in one spot. Then do a patch of zinnias. Roses and marigolds are nice. Maybe a couple of hollyhocks. Create a flower garden. I'd exaggerate the size of the flowers so you can see them from a distance. [...]
And for inspiration to @Ridgerunner 's idea, my grandson and I painted this fence section, which hides our 14' propane tank. My flowers are not very realistic, but thats okay...a 7 yo was designing it and the memories were worth the non realistic flowers.

Attachments

• 20190518_182403.jpg
    20190518_182403.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 8
Sorry for not posting any photos of my boring chicken area yet, like I said I would.
The weather was getting bad (for Alabama) and we covered everything with thick cotton dropcloths (the kind painters use to protect flooring and furniture).
Well, not everything. We sectioned off part of their outdoor coop areas with those "drops" and covered all of the areas we allowed them to have access to, including their houses.
I know they would have stayed warm and this was probably overkill... my husband wanted this done to keep the blasts of cold wind off of them. He said "Alabama chickens dont experience this type of cold and we gotta protect those babies".... 😊 He never shows that much concern and I was all over it!! So, today, we are removing all of the drops and I will get some photos. I may have to do some straightening up from 6 days of below freezing weather. Because I didnt hang out for too long on those days. I just made sure everyone was good, feed, fresh water and alive... (there is probably a little clutter)... LoL

Back
Top Bottom