curious about black/blue and other orpingtons?

ctcasper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Minnesota
How hard is it to find these breeds. I really would like to eventually get the lavender orps, but I know they are extremely hard to find. For now I just want to get another color, I just have the traditional buffs and would like to expand with some less common colors. Any info on how to go about doing that would be nice.

Here's a list of BYC sellers and the breeds they have...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66038

There are several of us that are raising the BBS Orpingtons, and a few of the lavenders, but you're right... they're hard to come by. You have to be fast on some of the BST threads to get the eggs!
smile.png

Apart from the buff orps, there are some breeders of nice black & blue orps in this list. Some of the many other colours are harder to obtain. Nice whites sound as if they are hard to come by & I have not yet seen any lavenders being sold which are close to conforming to orpington type.

Last edited:
The BBS orps are not easy to come by. They are in high demand and some egg auctions on here can get pretty pricey. You have to get to know the folks and most are pretty willing to sell you some if they have them.

I posted when I logged on here that I was looking for them....I have found some grown birds and I have ought eggs. I have also bought eggs from ebay (you can pm me and I'll share my experiences)

I will hopefully be full on breeding my own by the fall. My babies are growing nicely and I am really happy with what I have so far.

Oh, and if you are wanting lavenders....well, I have to tell you, those auctions are like insane!!! Lavender is very desireable but even rarer!!

scbatz33 ~ Actually the lavender gene is becoming quite common, by late summer I think there will be lots of people trying to sell it because reading on here people are hatching lavender all over the place.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom