curious about grit retention

Dana

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 10, 2007
New Hampshire
Does anyone know how grit stays in the gizzard, and doesn't just move through it like everything else? It just doesn't make any sense to me that the gizzard could/would treat the grit any differently then food.

Grit doesn't get broken down like food does, and its heavier than the food that is broken down, so it stays at the bottom of the gizzard, where it helps grind food.

Ok, I guess I was just picturing the gizzard wrong.
hmm.png

Thanks.

Wikipedia wrote:Some animals that lack teeth will swallow stones or grit to aid in digestion. All birds have gizzards, but not all will swallow stones or grit. The birds that do, employ the following method of 'mastication':

"A bird swallows small bits of gravel that act as 'teeth' in the gizzard, breaking down hard food such as seeds and thus helping digestion." (Solomon et. al, 2002).
These stones are called gizzard stones or gastroliths and are usually smooth and round from the polishing action in the animal's stomach. When too smooth to do their required work, they may be passed or regurgitated.

Does this make it clear as mud?
wee.gif

I wonder if the old, smooth, used-up grit gets passed all at once. I once noticed a chicken poop that was fairly loaded with grit. It was weird. I monitored the bird for a while but she seems fine!
Stacey

Could be, but if your chick are outside and I am sure they are, they are getting grit from the soil around them, I toss a cupful of contractors grade sand at them now and again and it goes quick.
It's time to do it again.
D.gif

Quote:
Read my post again. I didn't say "I guess I was just picturing the wrong gizzard", but rather, "I guess I was just picturing the gizzard wrong".
tongue.png

The stones my chickens eat are pretty small, so I wouldn't think that they'd be heavy enough to stay at the bottom, but would instead get mixed in with the food. However, I've never actually seen a chickens gizzard (and don't want to), so what do I know.

Yes, I know what you said. I left a comment to bump your post to the top because it was buried on page 6 of my show new posts page and I thought it could be helpful to others to discuss. I am not the type to just type bump and move something up.

Now -

Make a fist. Now push a straw through your fisted hand. That's a gizard. There is a big tube like vessel that runs right through it. All thr food and grit passes through the tube. When you dispatch chickens and harvest the gizzard you cut about 3/4 through the muscle following what looks to be a 'natural seam line'. When the gizzard is turned inside out you will see it is just a big muscle that everything passes through. Even the grit passes through. It works sort of like millstones.

That was the BEST explanation of how a gizzard works MissPrissy! Was never quite sure what happened with the grit and whether it passed through them at some point. I get it now
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom