Cutting feed costs while increasing nutrition

Ra_

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 25, 2010
North Central Florida
My large birds free range but I grow healthy snacks to supplement their diets.

snowdaddy28.jpg

In addition to Rye Grass in the Winter, I grow them Millet & Sorghum and Sunflower microgreens.
We now know that the cotelydons (first leaves) of plants are nutrition powerhouses that feed the plant until it develops roots. Microgreens of some plants contain up to 40x the nutrient value of the fruit.

I also grow them Purslane and Comfrey.

purslane712.jpg

Here is a piece I wrote for a prepper site that talks about their benefits:
http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2018/07/12/stealth-vegetables-and-vitamins-at-your-disposal/

Plantain and dandelion, as well as other small weeds, have nutrient content similar to purslane. The selling card of purslane is its high omega 3 content. I try to be systematic in my own nutrient intake and mix several weeds to make juices (more palatable in a mix, but you still need a beet, a whole lemon, and a spoon of honey to make it really drinkable). That saves me a lot of time.

you still need a beet, a whole lemon, and a spoon of honey to make it really drinkable). That saves me a lot of time.

Grapes work well for sweetening smoothies.
You can add vegetables to this yogurt smoothie mix and you'll barely taste them.
I add a lot of Sunflower microgreens to mine.
The Walnuts, Blueberries & Vanilla are my favorite parts
In June I get to add the Wild Blackberries that flourish on my property.

smoothie522.jpg

Grapes work well for sweetening smoothies.
You can add vegetables to this yogurt smoothie mix and you'll barely taste them.
I add a lot of Sunflower microgreens to mine.
The Walnuts, Blueberries & Vanilla are my favorite parts
In June I get to add the Wild Blackberries that flourish on my property.

View attachment 1486617

I have a large veg. garden. So the beet as sweetener is an obvious solution. But the point is that I get to drink all the minerals and vitamins of various greens in a single shot. and they are all organic, being weeds in my garden. and greens have generally a better nutrient content compared to fruits.

Back
Top Bottom