CX poo- is this normal?

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have 27 CX 4 weeks old put on pasture 4 days ago in a chicken tractor. Yesterday I noticed a lot of runny poo and one pile with feed grains. Looks a little better this morning. I feed 22% protein locally milled feed. I gave chick grit beginning at 2.5 weeks old. They are active, appear healthy and all but 1-2 with non-digestive issues.

Question- Is it normal to see runny poo when first introducing to pasture?
It has been very hot and they are drinking more water. Also the flues have been horrendous. I have fly paper hanging out of reach, but could eating flies be an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_3176.jpeg
    IMG_3176.jpeg
    711.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3178.jpeg
    IMG_3178.jpeg
    849.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3175.jpeg
    IMG_3175.jpeg
    947.3 KB · Views: 6
Poop was closer to normal today- nit as hot out. I’m chalking the diarrhea up to stress of moving to pasture, addition of more vegetation to diet and extra water due to heat.

Try introducing grit. My meat birds did way better (digestion-wise) on pasture when I gave them grit. And it makes sense because we give normal chickens grit to help the gizzard grind up grass, plants, and bugs they eat, why not meat birds? Also, it wouldn't hurt to grab some Sav-A-Chick packets (probiotic and electrolyte) and mix them into the water. CX aren't too heat tolerant and that can also cause the runny poops.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom