Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

My pekin girls layed their first egg yesterday and another today
smile.png
don't know exactly who is laying them but hopefully they keep it up !
Quick question, I heard that you are meant to leave their first ever egg for a couple days ? Is this true ?
The reason for that is to encourage them to continue to lay where you want them too. After a couple days they should have it down but keep leaving at least 2 egg in the nest and rotate it out so you can eat it fresh.

Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
The reason for that is to encourage them to continue to lay where you want them too. After a couple days they should have it down but keep leaving at least 2 egg in the nest and rotate it out so you can eat it fresh.

Welcome to BYC

Thank you :) I will do just that !
I also do not have nesting boxes for my girls..do they need them ? I have no interest in ducklings at this stage but my male pekin seems to think different haha

Thank you
smile.png
I will do just that !
I also do not have nesting boxes for my girls..do they need them ? I have no interest in ducklings at this stage but my male pekin seems to think different haha
He is just hormone driven so ducklings are very far from his mind. lol I don't have nest 'boxes" I just keep deep shaving in my ducks/chicken/geese houses they they make their own nests.

Last edited:
He is just hormone driven so ducklings are very far from his mind. lol I don't have nest 'boxes" I just keep deep shaving in my ducks/chicken/geese houses they they make their own nests.

Arr thank you again Miss Lydia :) will put some extra hay in their house today

Welcome to BYC

I put three golf balls in the nest they've been using, it seems to work. I have to unbury them every day, though. Today they were under about two inches of straw.

I put three golf balls in the nest they've been using, it seems to work. I have to unbury them every day, though. Today they were under about two inches of straw.
I have done the golf balls with my chickens but I'm not sure my ducks would fall for it, I have ceramic gooses eggs I use for my geese and Muscovy's.

That's about the deepest they've been, but we've only been doing this for 4 days now. So far, 8 eggs, both girls laying in the same nest.
Mine love to lay in the same nest my chickens will wait in line to get to lay in the same nest as the chicken ahead of her. and I have 5 nest boxes for 13 hens. suppose to have 1 nest box per 4 hens. Girls are nutty when egg laying begins.

Back
Top Bottom