Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

Finally got my first egg! Unfortunately I have to work this morning so the tasting will have to wait. So excited!

Finally got my first egg! Unfortunately I have to work this morning so the tasting will have to wait. So excited!
Yum! Have eggs for dinner :)

I let my ducks out this morning and Rocky made a beeline to the compost pile and was chatting up a storm digging around. Do you think she was looking for her other eggs? I put her back in the duck house alone and closed the door. Within 5 mins she laid her egg and wanted out. So it looks like I'm either going to have to go back out and collect eggs from the yard or keep her locked up longer. Anyway to entice her to go back in the house? I'm thinking there is too much commotion in the house for her since I still haven't expanded it. This week the weather should finally behave.

Last edited:
Yum! Have eggs for dinner
smile.png

I let my ducks out this morning and Rocky made a beeline to the compost pile and was chatting up a storm digging around. Do you think she was looking for her other eggs? I put her back in the duck house alone and closed the door. Within 5 mins she laid her egg and wanted out. So it looks like I'm either going to have to go back out and collect eggs from the yard or keep her locked up longer. Anyway to entice her to go back in the house? I'm thinking there is too much commotion in the house for her since I still haven't expanded it. This week the weather should finally behave.
That's probably it mine do like a bit of privacy when laying if you have a piece of scarp wood you could attach to the side of their house inside for now she may go in and lay there. you don't want her teaching the younger ones any bad habits. When my younger ducks were getting to laying age it was so cute to go out and find them laying inside like they were practicing for the big event.
smile.png

That's probably it mine do like a bit of privacy when laying if you have a piece of scarp wood you could attach to the side of their house inside for now she may go in and lay there. you don't want her teaching the younger ones any bad habits. When my younger ducks were getting to laying age it was so cute to go out and find them laying inside like they were practicing for the big event. :)
when I expand the house this week I will see about making a "private" area.
"

Two more today! They're still cranking them out. My new ducks are going to have to work hard to keep up with these two little mallard girls.

I'm still waiting for the girls to start, too. AND I have missed those eggs so much! The two older girls did a wonderful job last year and the three 'babies' just turned six months this week, so there will be eggs to sell this summer, and maybe even hatch. By the looks of my yard and their pen, they have all been molting this past month, so I guess that is the reason for the slow start. We are unusually warm here in the northwest, so I have to make that excuse for them.

Rocky was being a bit of a pain today. She knew where she wanted to lay her egg and that was NOT in the duck house. I kept putter he back in there and she was not having any of it. It's raining today so I really didn't feel like hunting down an egg in the yard. I finally locked her in for a bit and Mr. Rubble stood guard. She finally made a nest and laid the egg. When the other ducks would come by the see what was happening Mr. Rubble would chase them all off and go back to standing guard at the door. Very cute. When I let her out she went for a swim while I collected the egg. I felt bad after though because she came right back and her and Rubble were looking all over in the house for her egg. I really don't want her to start thinking about gathering a clutch. As cute as it would be that is not in the cards.

Back
Top Bottom