Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

Still getting 1 a day from Rocky my Cayuga. She takes a day off every now and then but usually that every few weeks. I'm still waiting on the other girls. They are taking their sweet time too since they are over 18 weeks now and smaller breeds. I was really hoping to get an Easter suprise, oh well.

Yesterday I hit my max for the first time ever... 11 eggs. There were only 7 first thing in the morning. Two of the later eggs the ducks decided to break and eat and one was a super thin shell from Noir. She was laying the soft shells and she has plenty of oyster shell available. Now they are glazed like a donut. Firm, but not hard enough not to have dented/broken parts from the laying process. They have gone from no shell to powder coat to a uniform glaze, so I think that is better. Now she just needs a little more thickness. There was one non-eaten, non-thin-shelled egg that came later, so I ended up with 8 usable for us, so still not too bad. When I get some time I will have to find out who's eating them. I am pretty sure it is the ducks and not any magpies since the eggs look different (unless a magpie is eating some, then the ducks are finishing them off.) I did find one a few days ago that was broken open and partially eaten in the house first thing in the morning so that had to be a duck, but it could have been broken accidentally by Kaine causing a ruckus chasing everyone around, then fed on after it was broken. I have only seen ducks break the soft shells on purpose first hand.

Two today. I'm pretty sure some of the ladies are hiding eggs, but I have not been able to locate the stash spot yet. There is a lot of area to cover and they roam a lot. The nest box is in use again, but the eggs are large for my khakis and are getting laid much earlier than usual so I can't rule out the pekins getting their act together or the scovies starting up for the season. Have to think about separating everyone soon!

My girls have been pretty consistently laying 6 eggs a day, but Lily our Pekin has started laying these huge monster eggs (my not-super-accurate scale says 4 oz). I wonder if I let that one hatch if a full grown duck would pop out?

(The brown one is the last of my friend's chicken eggs that were tiding us over the winter for scale.)

Still can't find where the ladies are stashing their eggs. I may have to check the goose nest... I get two perfectly clean eggs every morning now - and no more, and everyone had been laying... They are huge compared to what my Khaki girls lay (about .5 oz heavier), and not buried in the mud or randomly laying about the yard Pekin style. I'm suspecting my Muscovy gals are laying them...
Eventually, I will find the egg stash from everyone else.....

My girls have been pretty consistently laying 6 eggs a day, but Lily our Pekin has started laying these huge monster eggs (my not-super-accurate scale says 4 oz). I wonder if I let that one hatch if a full grown duck would pop out?

(The brown one is the last of my friend's chicken eggs that were tiding us over the winter for scale.)
I'd say at least a teenager.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom