Daily shedding of bloody intestinal lining for weeks…what’s wrong???

Tristeli

Chirping
Jun 16, 2021
Can someone help diagnose this mystery issue with my pair of new -indoor only pullet/cockerel? I have yet to hear anything from the breeder and I’m very worried. I ordered older birds specifically to avoid hatchery issues this time 😞

I ordered a mature pair of orpingtons bantams that arrived 2wks ago at approx 2-2.5months of age. They were placed directly from shipping box into a clean brooder pen with grower feed and oregano water brands from the farm they were raised and shipped. The first picture is from their very first morning here. And since they arrived multiple droppings with intestinal lining are produced each morning. These birds could not have contracted a parasite HERE so quickly. I took the probiotic chick grit away immediately as the first droppings were just filled with it. That was 2 weeks ago. Unless there is something wrong with the feed they sent (they have their own blend made) I’m not sure how they could have injested something that continues to irritate.

Treatments-yes I tried corrid in fact just finished the course the day before the second photo. The video is of the pair this morning. They don’t act sick and the male has started to crow.

Has anyone seen this before? Absent any response from the breeder, what can I do? I do have Corrid. Tontrazil, metronidazole, enrofloxin, bacitracin, (2 other antibiotics but not in a form I can dose) and valzaban wormer in my bed kit.

Yes there is avian vet 1.5hrs away and it’s $150 per bird for mandatory exam and in house fecal. Sending out to a lab is $80 and 5days. That said I’ve never once in 16 fecals on other birds got a positive result even though twice I saw worms come out and saw Protozoa under my own microscope…so I’m not sure about the trip and expense for these two.

Attachments

• IMG_8192.jpeg
    IMG_8192.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8226.jpeg
    IMG_8226.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I can’t seem to upload video so here’s photos of them

Attachments

• IMG_8220.jpeg
    IMG_8220.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 14
Hi, I'm no expert, but was having the same problem with my flock, also black and brown slimy diarrhea. Corid only helped for the days of treatment then they all relapsed. I don't want to use antibiotics because I sell the eggs at the market and can't afford the withdrawal time. On some online and personal recommendations I tried oregano oil and that pretty much solved all poop problems overnight. I was really relieved to see normal chicken poop everywhere (!) Oregano oil is supposed to be a powerful antibiotic and antiviral. I mixed a capful per gallon of their drinking water. Some of the chickens didn't like it, so next time I might dilute it more. Here's the product: https://www.amazon.com/Nubiotic-Oregano-Oil-Poultry-237ml/dp/B07H7WF528/
This product also contains peppermint oil which is supposed to be good for digestive upset.
Good luck! I hope your flock feels better soon.

Hi, pardon the multiple replies. When I first got chickens from Meyer a couple also had that red tissue in their poop, and I did take to see a vet. He said it was just 'sloughing off of the intestinal wall which can happen with young chickens, and nothing to be concerned about'. However, today in my larger flock, this red tissue presents when there is a lot of diarrhea in the coop, so my thinking is that it is not normal.

Also, if you saw worms come out, you can try ivermectin. I added a bit of the oral horse paste into their water. https://www.jefferspet.com/durvet-ivermectin-horse-dewormer-paste-1-87-apple-flavor-6-08gm/
One tube is enough for a 1200 lb horse so a capful in the chickens' drinking water is enough.
Oh to clarify I had seen worms with other animals in prior years all with negative tests…so my confidence in taking these guys in for the test is low. I’ve also gone to the trouble of bringing in birds with bloody droppings and had the vet refuse to do a fecal so…yeah.

I ordered a mature pair of orpingtons bantams that arrived 2wks ago at approx 2-2.5months of age.

They were placed directly from shipping box into a clean brooder pen with grower feed and oregano water brands from the farm they were raised and shipped.

These birds could not have contracted a parasite HERE so quickly. I took the probiotic chick grit away immediately as the first droppings were just filled with it. That was 2 weeks ago.

Treatments-yes I tried corrid in fact just finished the course the day before the second photo.

Absent any response from the breeder, what can I do? I do have Corrid. Tontrazil, metronidazole, enrofloxin, bacitracin, (2 other antibiotics but not in a form I can dose) and valzaban wormer in my bed kit.
Your juveniles are cute.
Photos of the feed analysis on the bag and the oregano water brands you got from the breeder?

What dose of Corid did you give?

Chick grit may be too small for them since they are juveniles and you were seeing a lot of it in the poop, they may need pullet or poultry sized grit.

I'd feed them their normal chick starter and give them plain fresh water for several days to see if the poop improves.

Not a chicken expert but bloody droppings are a usually a sign of parasites or intestinal infection.
If corid didn’t work either the dosage was wrong or your birds have something other than coccidia. SMZ TMP will be more effective at killing coccidia.

safeguard or goats or the horse paste version will be more effective than ivermectin if it‘s worms. Dosage is 0.23 ml per pound for liquid or paste.

giardia and clostridium are two other causes of bloody droppings, both can be treated with metronidazole, dosage for a 5lb bird is 250mg for 5 days.
For clostridial infections metro used in conjunction with tylan/Tylosin has been most effective I’ve found with my geese.

Your juveniles are cute.
Photos of the feed analysis on the bag and the oregano water brands you got from the breeder?

What dose of Corid did you give?

Chick grit may be too small for them since they are juveniles and you were seeing a lot of it in the poop, they may need pullet or poultry sized grit.

I'd feed them their normal chick starter and give them plain fresh water for several days to see if the poop improves.
This is pictures of the products the birds were raised on that I ordered to make a “smooth” transition.

I didn’t know how big they’d be bug concur with the grit size. I was also worried about the additives in it-veg oil and lots of probiotic Latin. Possibly upset gut balance? I found a plain grower-adult grit online and introduced that this past week.

Attachments

• IMG_8252.jpeg
    IMG_8252.jpeg
    620.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8253.jpeg
    IMG_8253.jpeg
    705.1 KB · Views: 10
Here’s the kicker. All this of course happened over holidays, the breeder after 10 days got back to me. First she said they were raised on wet mash and not dry food so after traveling and gorging it’s possible that was a factor. she also thought the pics looked like cocci and told me to do a milk flush with whole milk I’m place of their water. I wish I could post a video. Four hours later the name was laying in his side opening his mouth and stretching out. He hadn’t crowed since. I don’t have a camera so unsure who did it but a cecal dropping I wiped up the next day smelled awful-a sweet rancid smell. And I’m concerned the milk fed or created an infection. That’s nice that farms are organic and everything but that old remedy is not safe if there aren’t parasites to flush!

The pics are the day after the milk. Breeders response was …oh that’s crazy you should purchase a consult with our farm vet and talk to him. I’m taking the pair into an emergency vet this morning for exam and tests.

Attachments

• IMG_8245.jpeg
    IMG_8245.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8242.jpeg
    IMG_8242.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8246.jpeg
    IMG_8246.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8237.jpeg
    IMG_8237.jpeg