emelle116

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2019
Chico, California
Today I noticed that one of my pullets (3.5 months old) has pieces missing from her tail feathers (picture included). I also found 4 large, healthy looking tail feathers lying in her coop. Her tail is noticeably less full than those of my other 3 pullets. The rest of her feathers look fine.

I don't see any dark spots that indicate mites, but I am wondering if she might be dealing with the depluming mite. She puffs out her feathers often (more than the rest of the flock), but I haven't noticed her plucking them out. My other chickens' feathers look full and healthy, so I don't think they've been affected.

Are there any predators that could have done this to her feathers? Or could it be the result of the other chickens picking on her? That seems unlikely to me, since she seems to be the highest in the pecking order.

Her comb and wattles are much smaller and duller in color than the rest. She seems to have a good appetite and is active, but she has always moved more slowly than the rest, and she is one of the most docile. I thought it was because she was so sweet, but hopefully it's not because she isn't feeling well!

I'm pretty new to having chickens, so I appreciate all the help I can get! Thank you!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (19).jpg
    FullSizeRender (19).jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 16
Today I noticed that one of my pullets (3.5 months old) has pieces missing from her tail feathers

also found 4 large, healthy looking tail feathers lying in her coop. Her tail is noticeably less full than those of my other 3 pullets.
Can you post a photo of all of her?
The feathers look like they have been nipped off - likely one of her flockmates did that.
She's 3.5months old so this is about the right age for a second juvenile molt, so the feathers you found in the coop, if you look closely at her tail, likely you will see some new feathers coming in.

Thank you for your response, @Wyorp Rock ! I really hope it's just her flockmates. Here are two more pictures of her. Do you think it's normal for her comb and wattles to look so undeveloped at 3.5 months? Two of her flockmates are sex-links, and I know they mature more quickly, but they practically look like full-grown hens compared to her.

Can you post a photo of all of her?
The feathers look like they have been nipped off - likely one of her flockmates did that.
She's 3.5months old so this is about the right age for a second juvenile molt, so the feathers you found in the coop, if you look closely at her tail, likely you will see some new feathers coming in.

Attachments

• IMG_4194.JPG
    IMG_4194.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4192.JPG
    IMG_4192.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 9
Thank you for your response, @Wyorp Rock ! I really hope it's just her flockmates. Here are two more pictures of her. Do you think it's normal for her comb and wattles to look so undeveloped at 3.5 months? Two of her flockmates are sex-links, and I know they mature more quickly, but they practically look like full-grown hens compared to her.
What breed is she supposed to be? New Hampshire?
Sex-Links do mature faster. This girl is only 3.5months old her comb and wattles look fine to me.

Yes, New Hampshire! Ok good, I'm glad you think so. I did notice one of the girls nipping at one of my other chickens today, so hopefully that's all it is. Thank you!

What breed is she supposed to be? New Hampshire?
Sex-Links do mature faster. This girl is only 3.5months old her comb and wattles look fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom