Dark Cornish Rooster over Delaware hens

Saddley

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 16, 2015
Hello! Does anyone have any pictures of what the chicks and adults look like with this mixture? I can't seem to find any.
Thank you!

I'm not sure of the genetic make-up of the Dark Cornish. That could even be different in the UK versus US, they don't always use the same standards. I'm not even sure if the Dark Cornish are black or a deep red.

The Delaware hen is barred so you should get sex linked chicks. The male offspring will be barred and the females will not. That much I'm confident of. If the Dark Cornish are black you should be able to see a white spot on the male chick's head at hatch. The girls will not have that spot. If the Dark Cornish are red you probably won't be able to see the spot.

The Delaware have Silver. if the Dark Cornish are red instead of black the male chicks' down should be mostly yellow when they hatch and the girls should be red. That should really stand out at hatch. If the Dark Cornish are Black then you'll have to go by the barring to sex them instead o down color.

Regardless of whether the Dark Cornish are black or red you should be able to sex the chicks at hatch and certainly when they start to feather out. I obviously don't have photos but would love to see yours when they hatch.

The Dark Cornish has a pea comb, the Delaware has a single comb. The Pea Comb gene is partially dominant. That means you will be able to see the pea comb effect but it can be a sort of wonky looking comb, sort of a cross between pea and single.

I'm not sure of the genetic make-up of the Dark Cornish. That could even be different in the UK versus US, they don't always use the same standards. I'm not even sure if the Dark Cornish are black or a deep red.

The Delaware hen is barred so you should get sex linked chicks. The male offspring will be barred and the females will not. That much I'm confident of. If the Dark Cornish are black you should be able to see a white spot on the male chick's head at hatch. The girls will not have that spot. If the Dark Cornish are red you probably won't be able to see the spot.

The Delaware have Silver. if the Dark Cornish are red instead of black the male chicks' down should be mostly yellow when they hatch and the girls should be red. That should really stand out at hatch. If the Dark Cornish are Black then you'll have to go by the barring to sex them instead o down color.

Regardless of whether the Dark Cornish are black or red you should be able to sex the chicks at hatch and certainly when they start to feather out. I obviously don't have photos but would love to see yours when they hatch.

The Dark Cornish has a pea comb, the Delaware has a single comb. The Pea Comb gene is partially dominant. That means you will be able to see the pea comb effect but it can be a sort of wonky looking comb, sort of a cross between pea and single.
They hatched already :)

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 26
I don't have either of those breeds, but I keep reading these threads out of interest, as you never know when @Ridgerunner will step in with a series of very informative genetics posts. Cute birds, @Saddley - look a bit like the mutts from my recent hatching. I'll keep following, will be most curious to see how they put on weight, and when they begin to lay.

Thank you both.

I don't have either of those breeds, but I keep reading these threads out of interest, as you never know when @Ridgerunner will step in with a series of very informative genetics posts. Cute birds, @Saddley - look a bit like the mutts from my recent hatching. I'll keep following, will be most curious to see how they put on weight, and when they begin to lay.

Thank you both.
I hope they turn out well. Not sure why I can't seem to find any pictures of the adults or much info at all about this mix. Kinda makes me wonder if there is a reason lol

There should not be anything sinister about that cross. Pretty much like crossing a Dark Cornish with any other dual purpose hen. I'd expect that to be a pretty good cross actually. The boys are going to be light colored so if you pluck instead of skin you get a prettier carcass. You should get a decent frame so they can pack on some meat. They are sex linked so you know from hatch which are boys in case you want to feed them differently. And if you like breast meat they should provide that.

Back
Top Bottom