Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Hi Joe! Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen this link before so no I hadn't applied it, but I can see what you are getting at.
smile.png

Pink Chick,

My first Barnevelders turned 6 months in November. I waited all winter for an egg and they finally started laying in Feb. They just weren't old enough to finish maturing before the short days. So hopefully very soon! I'll be watitng for a picture! How old is your girl?

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/46679_253.jpg
Here is some of mine. Bottom Right corner is a barnevelder. Spekled one right by it and scattered aroud are from My one line of weelles. The larger lighter eggs are from another wellie that has been in lay sice 4th of july . They have lightend some
The dark eggs are from my BCM, but they have been in lay since 1st of Agust and have lighten up some.

clap.gif
Love all the speckles!!!!!!!!
love.gif

Thanks pink. I was not sure that I liked the specks. I have hatched a few of hers, coverd by a neat French BL Splash Maran roo. They are neat chicks. I will be setting some eggs from her soon. I will try to get some pics up. She is a poult that I hacthed from eggs I bought. The guy I bought them from had the line of wellies for 15 years or so. Then added a Lowel Barber line roo to bring in new blood. She is coverd by a roo from Grisham lines.. I am then going to switch roos over her. I have onother line of wellies faboulus eggs, color, good rate of lay. A private line as well, The breeder has had them for 15 or more years with out any outside blood. However I hatched only roos out of that egg order.. He has been covering some grisham hens(the lighter eggs). I have 20 or so of those hatched out and the offspring are outstanding, Can't wait to bred them back and get some eggs out of them. The barnie is was coverd by the same roos, so have a few barnie/Blur splash Maran, and now set a few wellie, Banie . I only hate hens form 2 barnie eggs orders. I thought I had a Johann roo located, but the guy did not follow thuoruh, so will wait until it warms a bit and try to get a mature roo shipped in. The other banie hens are starting to lay, and they are not as impressive in color as this one, but all have nice lacing and type.

Quote:
clap.gif
Love all the speckles!!!!!!!!
love.gif

Thanks pink. I was not sure that I liked the specks. I have hatched a few of hers, coverd by a neat French BL Splash Maran roo. They are neat chicks. I will be setting some eggs from her soon. I will try to get some pics up. She is a poult that I hacthed from eggs I bought. The guy I bought them from had the line of wellies for 15 years or so. Then added a Lowel Barber line roo to bring in new blood. She is coverd by a roo from Grisham lines.. I am then going to switch roos over her. I have onother line of wellies faboulus eggs, color, good rate of lay. A private line as well, The breeder has had them for 15 or more years with out any outside blood. However I hatched only roos out of that egg order.. He has been covering some grisham hens(the lighter eggs). I have 20 or so of those hatched out and the offspring are outstanding, Can't wait to bred them back and get some eggs out of them. The barnie is was coverd by the same roos, so have a few barnie/Blur splash Maran, and now set a few wellie, Banie . I only hate hens form 2 barnie eggs orders. I thought I had a Johann roo located, but the guy did not follow thuoruh, so will wait until it warms a bit and try to get a mature roo shipped in. The other banie hens are starting to lay, and they are not as impressive in color as this one, but all have nice lacing and type.

Pic's will be great! Can't wait to see them!

Quote:
She is just over six months......I think that I said she was nearing 8 mos before and I was looking at the wrong month on the calendar when I had hatched out different Barnevelder eggs. She is clucking and running the fence line and then running into the coop, cackle cackle, cluck cluck and runs back outside and chatters up and down the fence, back in the coop and so on. There is evidence of someone being in the nest box but I know that Mr. Mr. likes to get up in there and sit for a while all nice and cozy like. I have seen her up there with him but she is usually only standing on the outer edge of the box, chattering. I knew they were somewhat slow to mature but compared to the other lines of suppose to be Barnie's that I hatched, they are way slower, but then the others I am convinced they were all crossed with Welsummers.

Not much going on here lately.........Where is everybody.???? I am getting ready to go to a poultry show next week end & when I come home will be setting eggs in my new incubator. I am picking up BCM & Blue Coper Marans eggs there & have Black Jersey Giant eggs ordered. I am collecting my Delaware eggs to hatch for someone else & will be hatching Australorps & Marans for a friend with un reliable power supply. I am excited ........................... This will be the first hatch for this Brinsea I got for Christmas.
Karen in California

Here is a picture of some of this weeks BCM eggs with a Isa Brown egg in the carton for comparison. I am lucky as my girls have slowed down, but are still laying. I love Marans, great birds.

Dave

eggsandwinterJan11008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom