Dark Egg Breeds Thread

I think my Welsummer laid her first egg today! Was waiting on her and an EE. It was streaked with blood (none of the other birds I have had blood on their eggs when they started laying, but heard that is normal). It's about the same light tan shade that my 2 Barred Rocks lay, but it had dark flecks in it. I took a pic but am having a hard time loading it on here. GRRR. Anyway, can I expect that to be the final shade she lays, or will they darken over time. I guess we'll see if she lays again tomorrow. So far, the Barred Rocks mostly lay every day, and the 1 EE that is laying is 2 days on and 1 day off. Is there any chance that the EE would have laid the brown egg? I don't know if the green/blue gene is guaranteed or not? Plus, my EE's resemble the Welsummer in coloring except they have muffs and green legs....so I'm pretty sure they are mixed with a Welsummer. They all came from the same hatchery. THANKS!

Check my blog listed below for the pic!! I can't get it to load here.

Last edited:
What about in Wisconsin? I can't find anyone, or atleast anyone that has hens.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm new to this and I read something on the first page and then asked the question. Then realized that there were 150 pages. I am looking for Black Copper Maran Hens.

Back
Top Bottom