Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Sorry, I'm new to this and I read something on the first page and then asked the question. Then realized that there were 150 pages. I am looking for Black Copper Maran Hens.
You may need to be patient and get chicks from someone , or eggs to hatch. I sell out fast on my chicks and eggs, so I imagine others may also.

or if you just want layers you can check your local craigslist. out here Maran's are so popular there is always some kind of Maran for sale.
I have checked craigslist and there are no black copper marans, or eggs, or chicks on any locations that I have checked. And I have checked out to 100 miles. Where would you say that I should look for eggs or chicks?

Last edited:
I have checked craigslist and there are no black copper marans, or eggs, or chicks on any locations that I have checked. And I have checked out to 100 miles. Where would you say that I should look for eggs or chicks?
You may need to wait till spring but you can try
Sand Hill preservation. Get your order in early though.
Look on the eggs for sale section here. I think DMRippy sells them.
Try Lee at Little Gem Hatchery
[email protected]

THis is VERY early in the egg hatching season. More opportunities will be available in the coming months when hatching really gets going.
especially out where you are all at. If you do not want to wait I would just keep checking Craigslist in you area for Hens.
Maybe post a wanted add in BYC under 8 weeks and older ?
Just ideas.

to bad you are not out my way. Craigslist Sacramento has Birchen 10.00 Black Copper 8.00 and Cuckoo 3.00

Wow that's insane. We had a guy around here that stopped selling them a few years ago. He sold the hens for $20 each and some of them were 3 years old, but they bought from him because no one else around here has them.

Wow that's insane. We had a guy around here that stopped selling them a few years ago. He sold the hens for $20 each and some of them were 3 years old, but they bought from him because no one else around here has them.
these where week old hicks I think. Just look at the for sale page Eggs and Chicks here and see what they have. You can also look at the breeders section in the Marans club of America

Back
Top Bottom