Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Nice-I don't think I have ever seen Barnevelder eggs before, be sure post some pics of them
smile.png
Is there much variation in egg color with the Barnie hens like the Marans? Do you select your breeding stock for their egg color with your hens? Or do they all lay a similar egg color?

Sorry for the delay in response drom, I tried answering last night but must not have hit the submit button.
tongue.png

This is my first go 'round with Barnies. Barnie eggs look very similar to Welsummer eggs, a coppery tinted egg. All three batches of eggs were different in color and size. 1st eggs were pretty small and light colored, 2nd eggs were identical to my Welsummer eggs, 3rd batch were darker than some Welsummer eggs and heavily speckled and quite a bit larger than the others. I will be sure to post photos of the eggs, no problem.
smile.png

I will be selecting breeding stock for the Barnies the exact same way that I do the Marans. I wasn't going to really breed Barnies, my best friend is the one who is in total love with them. I am really only keeping a small flock of them for my best friend, incase something ever happened to hers that I would have them here for her. I truly just want to play around with the blue gene and Barnies.
smile.png

Last edited:
Turkey~ I would like to keep the lacing if possible, but I know that it will be a pretty tough project. Now if only I could settle on the bird that I want to use to intro blue into to them.
smile.png

BLRW was the very bird I had in mind simply because of the lacing and yellow legs. Dealing with the comb of a BLRW will be another story, lol. I'm also going to toss a splash Marans hen in with them for fun. Problem is.... I only know of one peeps that is "relatively" close to me that has BLRW's, that would be geebs I believe. OoooO geeeeeebbs........
gig.gif

Every once in a while a single combed bird pops up in Wyandottes. Maybe geebs has a single comb cull for you???

If not, at least the single comb is recessive, so it will only take two generations or so to get back to it.

Quote:
Yes, we are the West Coasters. And Pink chick
- seems like everybody else is in the South or east coast. Except for Kathy-She's in MO

Oh and RUSTYWOMAN-Idaho.
That's west

Last edited:
I am a morning person and heading to bed now. I will leave it to you all to keep the thread interesting so I can laugh in the morning!

Nite all!

Back
Top Bottom