Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
I love those splotchy ones you can send those pullets to my house and I'll take real good care of them if they start laying regular dark ones I'll send them back
gig.gif
Really drom you have a great program I was thinking about your excess roos since I can't seem to hatch out a good one....

Quote:
I love those splotchy ones you can send those pullets to my house and I'll take real good care of them if they start laying regular dark ones I'll send them back
gig.gif
Really drom you have a great program I was thinking about your excess roos since I can't seem to hatch out a good one....

thanks! I just don't know what to think of the splotchy ones. I don't think I got so many of those with my first gen pullets. They rarely even laid a spotted egg. But I only had 3 hens then, so maybe I am just seeing more variation because I have more hens and pullets now. But when I get an unevenly painted egg with those really dark splotches, I always end up wondering will I ever get one that is actually entirely that color? Because the splotches are practically black. And I don't know if I should hatch those out or if I should favor the lighter, more evenly painted ones for hatching.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I have so many Roosters-OMG-But most are really just for someone who wants a backyard flock of good dark layers. There are only 3 young ones that I think are good prospects for show stock. Although, they all came from Roosters that aren't perfect.
lol.png

There's not many "perfect" ones and for what I have I might need a different roo than you would it's all in the balance...really though anything I've hatched that looked pretty good has had one bad fault so out comes the axe. I have one now that's getting to grow out "Davis" lines that is a keeper for now his comb needs work but he has the color and size no white fluff or feathers I'm working on Blue Coppers that's why I need a good Black Copper roo for back crossing.....and only 5 points not 10
lau.gif
some of the ones I hatched have fringe not points

I totally agree with you on the idea of balance. I think maybe I am a little more tolerant of some things, such as varying hackle color and other color faults because, with my flock at least, it really has proven so far to be a balancing act with the BCMs.

Your signature line by the way line is is so true and spoken like a true horse person.
wink.png

Quote:
Thank you! And they were laid by genuine leopards
ya.gif

Hi Kathy
frow.gif

hey, your old fogie with the stogie is back!
gig.gif

Quote:
Thank you! And they were laid by genuine leopards
ya.gif

Hi Kathy
frow.gif

hey, your old fogie with the stogie is back!
gig.gif

I would be proud to have leopards laying those gorgeous eggs!
thumbsup.gif

Yes, back by request (for awhile) ..... the old fogie with the stogie.
big_smile.png

Wow really? I didn't know it was raining down there. It was a little cloudy and humid up here today but no rain.

Back
Top Bottom