Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Are you positive that's a BCM and not a single-combed Olive Egger cull laying that egg?

My oldest Olive Egger is 7 weeks old. I'm pretty sure it's a Black Copper Marans. I got the pullet who lays them from Wynette, who also has a hen that does the same thing with her eggs on occasion.
smile.png

Quote:
Are you positive that's a BCM and not a single-combed Olive Egger cull laying that egg?

My oldest Olive Egger is 7 weeks old. I'm pretty sure it's a Black Copper Marans. I got the pullet who lays them from Wynette, who also has a hen that does the same thing with her eggs on occasion.
smile.png

Okay, good. The reason I asked is that I have a single-combed Olive Egger cull that looks like a BCM, but lays eggs like that. Sometimes, maybe every 4th egg, it will be a #4-ish brown.

smile.png

thanks for the thoughts and advice ,if my wheaten marans ever start laying again i will start generation3 but i will start culling for hen comb ,i only started out 2 1/2 years ago with around 35 eggs fron a few different breeders ,hatched them getting 3 hens out of the bunch and 2 roo worth keeping but now that i hatched enough to work with i will be able to cull more hens this comeing summer... i am small time compared to others , i want to have and keep 12 nice birds and 2 roo all the time ,and to always be replaceing with new hopefully better . my marans coop holds 15 easy and my grower coop holds 20 and my liveing room,bathroom and kitchen holds alot of chicks when needed , i was wondering how long do your black copper take roughly to go from hatching a chick to laying a egg it self ? the wheatens i have
takes any were from 32 to 34 weeks to go from egg to laying a egg .. i am located in climate zone 6 .i know this because i have a very very small orchard with a 8 foot deer fence going around ( and planted many fruit trees ... ps my girlfriend of 5 years got me the hard cover book from american standard of perfection 2001,,killer book ,, and my girlfriend dont like chickens ever since we shot a racoon ... funny short story , i steel jaw traped it , elderly dad shot a bunch of holes in the roof trying to hit it (traped it on roof) sister grabed gun from dad and girlfriend kinda heard the hole thing lol and ever since girlfriend hates chickens but still likes me i guess ......
APA SOP killer book

Quote:
I think in the category of faults, a little tiny point on the blade, would be a fairly minor one. Seems to me there are so many more important things to work on.

But with the number of regular points, if he has 6 and you breed him to hens with 5, I'll bet you get chicks with 5. Might be a fun experiment to mark the eggs that came from hens with 5 points before you hatch them and see what you get.

Quote:
I think in the category of faults, a little tiny point on the blade, would be a fairly minor one. Seems to me there are so many more important things to work on.

But with the number of regular points, if he has 6 and you breed him to hens with 5, I'll bet you get chicks with 5. Might be a fun experiment to mark the eggs that came from hens with 5 points before you hatch them and see what you get.

I have some 3rd gen in the bator dozen and 1/2 and I have eggs too.
tongue.gif
LOL I will not be keeping all of them if they all hatch so if you want some just let me know. I'll bring them up to ya'll. Same with eggs if you want any for free. you have helped me out when I needed eggs and roos and such so it's my turn to help you.

well thanks alot darlin its so nice to know someone close can help ,all it would take is one racoon attack or bear or possum , i will give them some more time to start laying the molting is almost threw and i might put a light on in the coop like you did and get em laying

Quote:

tongue.gif
LOL I will not be keeping all of them if they all hatch so if you want some just let me know. I'll bring them up to ya'll. Same with eggs if you want any for free. you have helped me out when I needed eggs and roos and such so it's my turn to help you.

i was wondering how long do your black copper take roughly to go from hatching a chick to laying a egg it self ? the wheatens i have
takes any were from 32 to 34 weeks to go from egg to laying a egg

Mine take about 6 1/2 to 7 months. I assumed with my first two gens that they were laying late because they hatched in July and they were waiting until after winter to lay. But my clutch this year hatched at the end of March and they took almost as long to start laying. About 6 to 6 1/2 months.

8 months is on the long side. When did they hatch? You have real cold winters don't you? I think I remember a picture you posted last winter with lots of snow.

The weather here in the winter is mild compared to most places. Bloody awful in the summer though...
lol.png

Last edited:
and my girlfriend dont like chickens ever since we shot a racoon ... funny short story , i steel jaw traped it , elderly dad shot a bunch of holes in the roof trying to hit it (traped it on roof) sister grabed gun from dad and girlfriend kinda heard the hole thing lol and ever since girlfriend hates chickens but still likes me i guess ......

lau.gif

Sister here - I actually hate guns, have only shot a handful of times but got that sucker in the first shot after I grabbed the gun from dad (and ran in the house to re-load!). It's amazing what you are capable of when something is killing your birds. Granted I was only about 10 feet away from the nasty bugger, but still . . .

Quote:
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom