Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
I would love to find something that would help, but I have found nothing. Has anyone ever tried those nextbox pads things that are washable? They kind of remind me of a door mat that we wipe our feet on.

Is my typo contagious (nextbox)? or did you do that on purpose?
smile.png

lol.png
Wasn't paying any attention to your typo......I made the typo all by myself without any outside influences.
gig.gif

You know they do say that great minds think alike!
wink.png
lau.gif

frow.gif

I have used both shavings and straw in my nextboxes. Shavings leave smaller marks on my eggs.

Shavings are what everyone commonly uses here for stall bedding. The only time I usually bed anyone in straw is when one of the mares is foaling.

Last edited:
please comment on this roo
, all comments , anyone from eather thred also and how many comb points would u count on ro this should be 6 or so hens combs and what should i be shooting for? ,,, i have very fewhens to work with , one has split beak but darkest egg layer what out of the 6 has bestcomb (best of bunch)
20346_mvc00083.jpg

20346_mvc00076.jpg

20346_mvc00008.jpg
20346_mvc00027.jpg

#3 and4
20346_3656565.jpg
20346_mvc00041.jpg

20346_mvc00048.jpg

i need to work on egg color than color comformation and then comb is what i would like to work on, 3 hens are pure and 3 are first gen and roo is first gen cross
thank you all
ps they are wheaten lol loland roo is almost 12 months old

Last edited:
Quote:
I tried straw and shavings (both small and regular sized) and they both left marks on my Marans eggs. I recently tried rice hulls in my nest boxes and they haven't left a mark yet. I only have one hen laying at the moment, but so far it's working well.

Quote:
Berk...that roo is GORGEOUS!! Really nice size...nice everything. I can not find a single thing that I don't like
about him
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I count 6 points on his comb, but the extra point is no biggie...IMO, as his comb is very proportional and the points are evenly spaced.

I think # 5 hen has the best comb, more regular spacing and shape; and it looks nice and straight as well.

Good job
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
He's got 6 very nice points. To be honest with you, he's very nice, except he's got too big of a tail and far too sloped of a back. See how it rolls downhill toward the tail? It should be fairly smooth and level, with a slight sweep up to the tail where his saddle is.

The hen I'd choose over any other in that selection for its comb would be #2 or #6. You want a very small amount of points, nothing equal to or more than your cockerel's. Also, you want a comb that doesn't show any signs of flopping or folding. Trust me, those traits will pass on. . .

i also noticed his back slanting to much , and tail angle is to steep , , i wont be breeding him till spring beasuse i have a main roo thats stright davis lines
and i want to produce another 2 generations for egg color as far as the hens go , they are so hard to come by i will use them all till have i have a bigger head count it was
hard culling(rehome) as many
hens as i did a few months back thanks for info talk to u all ,have a nice day all

Quote:
He's got 6 very nice points. To be honest with you, he's very nice, except he's got too big of a tail and far too sloped of a back. See how it rolls downhill toward the tail? It should be fairly smooth and level, with a slight sweep up to the tail where his saddle is.

The hen I'd choose over any other in that selection for its comb would be #2 or #6. You want a very small amount of points, nothing equal to or more than your cockerel's. Also, you want a comb that doesn't show any signs of flopping or folding. Trust me, those traits will pass on. . .

Quote:
Hi,

Aren't rice hulls pretty fine? I recall years ago we used rice hulls to soak up oil, where do you find rice hulls?

Joe

Hi Joe. Yes, rice hulls are pretty small. I put them in a nest box and shavings in another. My hen that's laying now switched her favorite box to lay in the rice hulls. Some feed stores have them.

Berk~ I agree with Illia and CP. I think he is a very nice rooster. I also like the combs of #2, #5 and #6. I soooooooo love that creamy undercolor of the hens. It is so pretty.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom