Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
All the White feathers showing on the BC are faults. If it is not in the Proposed Standard , it will be covered in the APA SOP under the cuttings for Points section. If you like the white feathers by all means go ahead and breed them like that. The APA SOP is there if you plan on showing and breeding to the SOP. The white cotton ball at the base of the tail is also a fault. It doesn't really make any difference what we like. If you are raising them to the Standard. Walt Leonard explained all of this on the other thread. Don

Still didn't answer my question. Not asking about APA, or SOP stuff or showing or breeding faults and didn't refer to what I liked or didn't like or that I wanted to breed with the white feathers. Wanted to know why a white tail feather in a BCM is considered a wheaton trait when Wheatons aren't suppose to have them either? Thats all. Came over here because it is too exhausting to get caught up on the other thread so sorry if I missed Walts thing. If no one gets the question thats fine. No big deal.

Hi there,
White feathers are not a Wheaten characteristic. White down at the base of the tail is:
11818_wheatie_or_not_a_wheatie_003.jpg

Wheatens also have creamy light down on their bums:
11818_wheatie_or_not_a_wheatie_011.jpg

I haven't personally ever seen a Black Copper, past the chick stage, display white down at the base of the tail or white down on the bum.

White feathers are different and are extremely common on juvenile Black Copper (genetic family ER) and Black (genetic family E) birds. Usually they will grow out of it and the feathers will gradually turn black or fall out during the first molt to be replaced by black feathers. But very often, an adult bird will have a white feather on their tail or even on their wing. To the best of my knowledge it is not a wheaten characteristic.

This little Black Copper pullet lost all the white feathers in her first year and at 2 1/2 years old has never displayed a single white feather as an adult.
11818_bayhorsebonne_marans_004.jpg

A white feather can appear on a Wheaten adult, but they don't go through the same juvenile white feather stage like the ER and E based birds do.
Cuckoos can also display a white feather or two as adults.

If I were you, I might toss this question on white feathers appearing in Wheatens and in BCMs out to Blackdotte on this site. He can probably describe exactly why they appear and what genes are involved in both the BCM and the Wheatens
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Good golly, that Wheaten has the body of a Wyandotte. . .
th.gif
He's a tank!

ahahahha! He isn't as big as he looks in the picture (he's only 81/2 months), but my mature 2 year old roosters from Bayhorsebonne are big boys. I swear, when I visited her a couple years ago she had a beautiful Cuckoo rooster who looked like you could saddle up and ride
lol.png

But seriously these birds I got from her in general are probably average sized.

Last edited:
Quote:
pop.gif
That is the coolest picture
cool.png

That's it. I am getting a DSLR camera as soon as I have pennies saved and I am going to go off and take birdie pictures in the jungle.

What is he by the way?

I would guess a Red Jungle Fowl. . . But if he is, it proves all the more in that study that there's only one person in the US with true Red Junglefowl, because wow, that is a stilty, thin lookin' wild thang!
lol.png

I just hit the edit and submit buttons by accident and didn't have anything to post. So now I have a blank page and it is forcing me to post something.

Here's a picture of some dark brown egg layers
11818_3rdgenapril2010_020.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom