Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
ooh those are cute peps drom and your eggs from that picture before are the best! I think some of those peeps are not layers are they.
lol.png

Quote:
ooh those are cute peps drom and your eggs from that picture before are the best! I think some of those peeps are not layers are they.
lol.png

I'm thinking some aren't layers either.
lol.png

drom~ Are those the kiddos we hatched out together? Do you have any photos of some of the chickies we hatched? How many girls did you end up getting from that hatch?

Quote:
Still didn't answer my question. Not asking about APA, or SOP stuff or showing or breeding faults and didn't refer to what I liked or didn't like or that I wanted to breed with the white feathers. Wanted to know why a white tail feather in a BCM is considered a wheaton trait when Wheatons aren't suppose to have them either? Thats all. Came over here because it is too exhausting to get caught up on the other thread so sorry if I missed Walts thing. If no one gets the question thats fine. No big deal.

Hi there,
White feathers are not a Wheaten characteristic. White down at the base of the tail is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11818_wheatie_or_not_a_wheatie_003.jpg

Wheatens also have creamy light down on their bums:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11818_wheatie_or_not_a_wheatie_011.jpg

I haven't personally ever seen a Black Copper, past the chick stage, display white down at the base of the tail or white down on the bum.

White feathers are different and are extremely common on juvenile Black Copper (genetic family ER) and Black (genetic family E) birds. Usually they will grow out of it and the feathers will gradually turn black or fall out during the first molt to be replaced by black feathers. But very often, an adult bird will have a white feather on their tail or even on their wing. To the best of my knowledge it is not a wheaten characteristic.

This little Black Copper pullet lost all the white feathers in her first year and at 2 1/2 years old has never displayed a single white feather as an adult.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11818_bayhorsebonne_marans_004.jpg

A white feather can appear on a Wheaten adult, but they don't go through the same juvenile white feather stage like the ER and E based birds do.
Cuckoos can also display a white feather or two as adults.

If I were you, I might toss this question on white feathers appearing in Wheatens and in BCMs out to Blackdotte on this site. He can probably describe exactly why they appear and what genes are involved in both the BCM and the Wheatens
smile.png

Thanks for the post and clearing up my confusion. After reading the discussion on the other thread I was under the impression a white tail feather was considered a Wheaton influence.

Quote:
Hi there,
White feathers are not a Wheaten characteristic. White down at the base of the tail is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11818_wheatie_or_not_a_wheatie_003.jpg

Wheatens also have creamy light down on their bums:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11818_wheatie_or_not_a_wheatie_011.jpg

I haven't personally ever seen a Black Copper, past the chick stage, display white down at the base of the tail or white down on the bum.

White feathers are different and are extremely common on juvenile Black Copper (genetic family ER) and Black (genetic family E) birds. Usually they will grow out of it and the feathers will gradually turn black or fall out during the first molt to be replaced by black feathers. But very often, an adult bird will have a white feather on their tail or even on their wing. To the best of my knowledge it is not a wheaten characteristic.

This little Black Copper pullet lost all the white feathers in her first year and at 2 1/2 years old has never displayed a single white feather as an adult.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11818_bayhorsebonne_marans_004.jpg

A white feather can appear on a Wheaten adult, but they don't go through the same juvenile white feather stage like the ER and E based birds do.
Cuckoos can also display a white feather or two as adults.

If I were you, I might toss this question on white feathers appearing in Wheatens and in BCMs out to Blackdotte on this site. He can probably describe exactly why they appear and what genes are involved in both the BCM and the Wheatens
smile.png

Thanks for the post and clearing up my confusion. After reading the discussion on the other thread I was under the impression a white tail feather was considered a Wheaton influence.

I think some consider it a Wheaten influence, but I am not completely sold on that idea yet. I can see why mossy and overly red or shafting in the breast would be considered a Wheaten influence, but the white feather in the tail, I'm up in the air about that.
hmm.png

Quote:
Yes. You can. I've run across a couple culls that were pretty darn lanky, thin, and, well, gamey looking.

Quote:
lol.png

lol.png
yes most of them look like fertilizers.

Ok so one of them is a dark brown egg layer.
big_smile.png

Actually, it looks like two of them...

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.png

I'm thinking some aren't layers either.
lol.png

drom~ Are those the kiddos we hatched out together? Do you have any photos of some of the chickies we hatched? How many girls did you end up getting from that hatch?

They are! I got 6 pullets
jumpy.gif
and 8 cockerels
tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love my cockerels,
love.gif
but there.... are....too.....many...... of .......them
th.gif

What did you get Pink?

What did you get Pink?

OMGosh....was I suppose to remember that?!?!?
lol.png

If memory serves me correctly, I kept 2 blue coppers, and one blue copper that shows no copper and a splash. I didn't keep any cockerels...well I did, but only until they were big enough to put in the freezer.
big_smile.png

Quote:

I think some consider it a Wheaten influence, but I am not completely sold on that idea yet. I can see why mossy and overly red or shafting in the breast would be considered a Wheaten influence, but the white feather in the tail, I'm up in the air about that.
hmm.png

Hmmm, that is interesting. I've never heard anyone say that, but I have to say that is quite the opposite of anything I have ever read, seen or experienced in my own flock.
I think it is fairly well established that Bev Davis's birds don't carry Wheaten and I have seen pics of her birds with a white tail feather or two. I'm talking about her birds and birds directly from her.

I don't believe juvenile white feathers on ER chicks have anything at all to do with Wheaten. It seems to be quite the opposite in my flock. My birds that are mossy and red breasted don't usually have any white feathers as chicks. The correct ones, the ones with completely jet black wing bars and bays, black breasts, dark legs and not a stitch of mossy color have the white feathers as chicks. When I get a chick that is completely black with some white, the adult bird will usually have a correct Black Copper phenotype.
The ones that don't, often have the little cinnamon spots, color on the breast and the other tell tale signs of recessive Wheaten genes.
idunno.gif

I can't speak for him, but Blackdotte addressed the juvenile white feathers with the ER birds on another thread and indicated that it is normal in ER chicks.

And I would highly doubt white feathers have anything to do with Wheaten genes in Cuckoos either.

I would have to see the evidence of that theory!
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom