Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Thank you, I'm sorry-just cleared it out a bit!
smile.png

Popping in to say HELLO to everyone!

Day 21 here.......saw a little bit of rocking yesterday and the day before but haven't heard a peep yet, but did hear some movement in the 'bator closest to me this morning. Somebody is gettin' ancy.

smile.png

I thought you should not breed ANY Wheatons that has a white feather or two because they will pass that gene down to the generations to come. Like the Welsummers, you don't want any white feathers or "smutt" feathers that has dark shafts to procreate because it would be so hard to eliminate that. That was due to mottling gene.

Now why would you want that?

Quote:
In BCM chicks they are normal.

I would assume they are a certainly a genetic characteristic and for sure adult white feathers are a fault.

I think someone told her that white feathers in Black Copper Marans were a sign of Wheaten recessive genes. In other words, if your Black Copper Marans has a white feather, it means it carries Wheaten. I question that.

white feathers in BCM chicks are normal and mine usually lose them before or during the first molt.

Last edited:
You guys are hatching in December?
jumpy.gif

My birds are completely dormant. Just eating and playing and acting like the freeloaders that they are.

Last edited:
Quote:
The only birds I have that are laying EVERY day are Leghorns and Comets. The partridge rocks are laying ALMOST every day. I am lucky if I get 2 eggs a WEEK from each marans.

I sold my welsummers a couple of weeks ago. They were laying ALMOST every day. I may of kept the wrong dark egg laying breed
gig.gif

I agree with you, drom, as to not being sure that white featheres indicate recessive wheaten.

I haven't seen a Marans egg for a month...I don't use lights on my birds, though. Only ones laying are my Isa Browns (production reds) and a cute little barred rock X buff orp pullet. Sigh..........come on spring!

Back
Top Bottom