Dark Egg Breeds Thread

oh I could put DE in my wheat. it had the weevils and the feed store says its all like that at this time of the year. actually this was months ago but i bought a lot and maybe the weevils are frozen now.

What exactly does the DE, numeric, and cinnamon do for the chickens? Yall are talking about feeding it to chicks right?

Well there are various benefits and claims to each but some say it is all just hogwater. I use them though. The cinnamon first it quits the smell of fish meal to my recipe. Turmeric it has antibiotic or immunitie boosting qualities and paprika is high in vitalmins for color. If you use the Google there are claims to read and i stopped wondering after deciding to use them.

Last edited:
Tumeric is known to aid in the prevention and treatment of Cocci... that alone makes it worthwhile.. I use these things because I like havng the same birds year after year....I loath flies and I like parasite free birds with red combs. nuff said. Oh also..I like lots of DARK eggs.. you decide.

Quote:
Here is a post from the NYT:

Nutritionist and author Jonny Bowden has created several lists of healthful foods people should be eating but aren’t. But some of his favorites, like purslane, guava and goji berries, aren’t always available at regular grocery stores. I asked Dr. Bowden, author of “The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth,” to update his list with some favorite foods that are easy to find but don’t always find their way into our shopping carts. Here’s his advice.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/the-11-best-foods-you-arent-eating/
1. Beets: Think of beets as red spinach, Dr. Bowden said, because they are a rich source of folate as well as natural red pigments that may be cancer fighters.
How to eat: Fresh, raw and grated to make a salad. Heating decreases the antioxidant power.

(I bet grated fresh beets would add color to yolks.)

2. Cabbage: Loaded with nutrients like sulforaphane, a chemical said to boost cancer-fighting enzymes.
How to eat: Asian-style slaw or as a crunchy topping on burgers and sandwiches.

3. Swiss chard: A leafy green vegetable packed with carotenoids that protect aging eyes.
How to eat it: Chop and saute in olive oil.

4. Cinnamon: May help control blood sugar and cholesterol.
How to eat it: Sprinkle on coffee or oatmeal.

5. Pomegranate juice: Appears to lower blood pressure and loaded with antioxidants.
How to eat: Just drink it.

6. Dried plums: Okay, so they are really prunes, but they are packed with antioxidants.
How to eat: Wrapped in prosciutto and baked.

7. Pumpkin seeds: The most nutritious part of the pumpkin and packed with magnesium; high levels of the mineral are associated with lower risk for early death.
How to eat: Roasted as a snack, or sprinkled on salad.

(Also supposed to act as an de-wormer)

8. Sardines: Dr. Bowden calls them “health food in a can.” They are high in omega-3’s, contain virtually no mercury and are loaded with calcium. They also contain iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and manganese as well as a full complement of B vitamins.
How to eat: Choose sardines packed in olive or sardine oil. Eat plain, mixed with salad, on toast, or mashed with dijon mustard and onions as a spread.

9. Turmeric: The “superstar of spices,” it may have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
How to eat: Mix with scrambled eggs or in any vegetable dish.

10. Frozen blueberries: Even though freezing can degrade some of the nutrients in fruits and vegetables, frozen blueberries are available year-round and don’t spoil; associated with better memory in animal studies.
How to eat: Blended with yogurt or chocolate soy milk and sprinkled with crushed almonds.

11. Canned pumpkin: A low-calorie vegetable that is high in fiber and immune-stimulating vitamin A; fills you up on very few calories.
How to eat: Mix with a little butter, cinnamon and nutmeg.

DE is supposed to work as a de-wormer as well. The fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton scrape and rupture worms and their eggs.
Dusted over droppings it kills flies as they lay eggs in bird/horse/dog poop.

wow...everything but the frozen blueberries (yuck), swiss chard, (yuck,yuck, yuck) and the Sardines BLECH!!!! The rest of the list my chickens and I both eat!!!
smile.png
They eat the pumpkin....I eat the seeds...(sometimes I share)... and yes the cinnamon and tumeric sure keeps my arthritis at bay this time of year... Those of you who have that... put some cinnamon in your coffee and you can take Tumeric in a capsule..... I do put DE on my food.. you can't taste it at all!!!! Funny that Cayenne isn't on the list... It also has amazing properties... and 5 almonds.

Last edited:
thanks for all that kinjinmn that was great to read for me - i am recovering now from malnutrition meltdown - i feed my chickens and gatos the best food but myself i come last)

geebs yeah the anti-inflammatory of the turmeric i fgorgot that that's a good importante one!

this combined with good sanitations and good food = healthy & long lived chickens...ward off marek's and CRD and similar.

Back
Top Bottom