Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
I asked that same question and got mixed reviews, thats why I got both. I can always decide which one I'm happier with and sell the other breed. I may have to keep both, I really like them.

Quote:
I asked that same question and got mixed reviews, thats why I got both. I can always decide which one I'm happier with and sell the other breed. I may have to keep both, I really like them.

Can you tell which breed lays better? And are the maran's eggs darker than the welsummer's?

Quote:

Can you tell which breed lays better? And are the maran's eggs darker than the welsummer's?

Someone more experienced should answer that. I just bought both breeds this weekend. I've heard that the Welsummers eggs are not as dark, but the ones I purchased have some really nice dark eggs.

I have both my Marans lay more eggs and they are darker and shinier...My Welsummers are smaller than my Marans but lay an egg almost as dark just a matte finish and the egg is smaller too. They are both beautiful but the Welsummers make more noise they are very proud of that egg and they get everyone else to sing
lol.png
I think the Wel Roos are even prettier than the Marans but the hens are plainer. I still have both just less Welsummers than Marans I like them both.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice , i know nothing about cameras but i have a very old digital 62mm portrat camera and i have to shoot a low format , i think the best format is tiff files but i cant shoot that because i cant download or upload , its all woods were we are located and mostly red tail and great horned owl we see the most........ havent lost one chicken to halk yet but could happen ,,,ive only gotten 8 or so eggs since they molted and im happy there running around # 5 last year when they were a year old i got some 6+ out of the few pure line girls and now i need to pay attention to my f2 birds to see what they lay wile keeping the origonal roo thanks for the kind words ,
ps , my best darker layer has a split beek and beeen that way since she was young but i keep her for the color egg

Quote:

its up to u pick a bird and color u enjoy , if your looking for a challange marans are it ,,, hatch em raise em enjoy emm is most important , but if your going to do it to better the breed thats great to , i think i like marans because its hard to breed them correct .impossable to find good stock (unless u get them from this thred full of smart people )
its a challange and most of all if i mess up a breeding program no one will ever know because there all ready wasted lol lol
so welcome ask what ever you like and get marans

Quote:

Quote:

thumbsup.gif

Yep, it's that darned dark egg and the challenge that sucks me in.......it doesn't help that they are so beautiful to boot! I'm a goner on both breeds.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom