Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Hi Cheryl! Welcome girl!
frow.gif

Last edited:
Uh... your looking good so far!!!
droolin.gif
th.gif

Those eggs have nice size to them!!! Not pullets? or big fat pullets???

Last edited:
Quote:
Gorgeous eggs! Be sure and post some picture of the progression on your hatch. We just all love counting the days and looking at incubation and hatching pictures
pop.gif

Quote:
I don't help too many of them out, but I will say today is day 27 and a chick came into the world bright and early this morning. I did not help the chick out. This hatch and the last hatch have been the weirdest hatches I've ever had. Both of them took many days longer than any other hatch. This time around I got a chick every 2 days.

Beauty eggs Berk!

drom~ Right on on the backing away a little from them, I had noticed that too, I really like to use the macro flower setting. I also like the museum setting, but that must be used in a room where it is extremely lit up because museum doesn't use a flash on my camera.

smile.png

Oh.....Morning everyone!!!!!!!
frow.gif

So Berkeley and Pink,
It wasn't just the Marans and eggs that made me want to move up to a DSLR. It was pictures like these that you can capture with the DSLR cameras. I have a friend who has been a professional equine photographer for probably 30 years now and she sent me the link to this site.

Berkeley, you mentioned the owls. Check out this picture:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=184445

They are more expensive cameras than the point and shoots, but even the relatively cheaper entry level models can take incredible images. I am saving my pennies
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
If you're getting them from a hatchery it doesn't really matter, both lay an orangey type egg.

If you're getting from a reputable breeder, go with Marans. They lay the darkest eggs.
smile.png

And speaking of dark, I found in the coop today a GORGEOUS, dark ruby red egg today, perfectly round, oh my goodness it was a perfect gem!!! I have no clue who laid it, Wheaten or Black Copper, but whoever did - Thanks!!!
love.gif
love.gif

I'll post pics tomorrow.
smile.png
Seriously this egg is gorgeous. Yes, I normally have eggs that are dark like in my avatar, but not right now. . . And this one is "beginning of the cycle" dark.

Quote:
If you're getting them from a hatchery it doesn't really matter, both lay an orangey type egg.

If you're getting from a reputable breeder, go with Marans. They lay the darkest eggs.
smile.png

And speaking of dark, I found in the coop today a GORGEOUS, dark ruby red egg today, perfectly round, oh my goodness it was a perfect gem!!! I have no clue who laid it, Wheaten or Black Copper, but whoever did - Thanks!!!
love.gif
love.gif

I'll post pics tomorrow.
smile.png
Seriously this egg is gorgeous. Yes, I normally have eggs that are dark like in my avatar, but not right now. . . And this one is "beginning of the cycle" dark.

Hatch it!
jumpy.gif

w/o lights Drom there is a limited chance of a fertile eggy...
sad.png

But throw it in there and see (just in case)
lol.png

Nope, can't. When the girl laid it, it landed in some poo, so I had to (VERY carefully) wash it, and later found a small crack in it. I'm preserving it for my collection.
lol.png

ETA - The only Marans left of mine that has not laid an egg yet is a BC from Wynette and my best Wheaten pullet. . . If it is from my Wheaten I'm gonna flip with excitement. None of my other Wheaties began as dark as this egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom