Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Its been my experience that when you cross lines, you do lose egg color.

I didn't believe it, so I did it. What I got were some really nice pullets, god awful cockerels, some pullets with mossiness, and lost egg color on the resulting crossed pullets. I still had some pure lines that I didn't cross.

What I did, was breed the nice pullets back to a rooster that wasn't crossed and was from my original line, Davis, and went from there. I culled all the mossy birds, and hoped for the best.

Now, 2 years later, I'm back with dark eggs, and no mossiness, and some of the best roosters I ever bred. Did the crossing help? I'm not sure. I didn't lose type or size, probably got a little more vigor. Was it worth it? I don't know. It wasn't worth the loss of egg color though, that was a big dissapointment for that time.

My advice would be, if you want to try to cross lines, just do it with a few of your birds, not all. Then see what you get. I thank my lucky stars that I had kept a few birds alone, and had a rooster that I could breed the crossed hens to to bring them back to again to the Davis line with just a little bit of the other line I crossed with.
Sue
http://rarechickens.blogspot.com/

This subject came up on the Marans Yahoo blog, Bev Davis responded and said egg color was affected when lines were crossed. She added that no one knew why this happened.

My advice would be to keep your existing line and your new blood line separate and create a third line using birds from the two lines .... assuming you have space for a third line.

My first Splash Marans baby hatched tonight! So stinking cute! Any way to sex them?
65263_first_splash_out.jpg

Sea~
I agree with Ruth 100%, he is stunning !
smile.png

dldolan~
Congratulations on your new little splash baby! Momma looks happy...what a good girl!

To sex them? Honestly....it is the wait and see method for accuracy, but some lines of Marans can show certain characteristics in feathering rate that may be helpful in hinting one direction or the other. When I see some of these traits... I mark them at 3 days old and then watch....usually it works, but it is not a 100% accurate way of sexing them, we can always have a sneaky chick or 2 that keeps us guessing.... that said, I watch the wing, primary and secondary feather length & growth rate first, my females tend to feather faster in the wing and the primaries and secondaries tend to be longer than the boys....the boys' secondaries tend to be shorter than the females. Then I watch tail growth rate and shoulder feathering, my females tend to feather faster in the shoulder area vs. the males and my females tend to grow tail feathers faster than the boys. the tell tale sign that I watch for is comb and wattle development by age 10 days to 3 weeks.....one should be able to see the differences pretty clearly by this age, but again, some can be sneaky.....so then I wait some more and by about six weeks if I am still uncertain I start watching for any copper to come in on the wing bow or shoulder area and or the saddle area. If all else fails.......I guess we just wait for them to crow.
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I will try that with these Splash Marans babies. Any idea about the differences in color? Here are three colors I have hatched out today so far. I was expecting the greyish...not the pale yellow and brighter yellow. These are supposed to be Blue Splash Marans...

Big-hair Dolly:
65263_big_hair_splash_marans_chick.jpg

Pale yellow:
65263_yellower_splash_marans_chick2.jpg

Cute little grey:
65263_cute_chicky_splash_marans.jpg

Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I will try that with these Splash Marans babies. Any idea about the differences in color? Here are three colors I have hatched out today so far. I was expecting the greyish...not the pale yellow and brighter yellow. These are supposed to be Blue Splash Marans...

Big-hair Dolly:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_big_hair_splash_marans_chick.jpg

Pale yellow:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_yellower_splash_marans_chick2.jpg

Cute little grey:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_cute_chicky_splash_marans.jpg

Thanks!

dl~

A splash bird is a blue bird.....a splash has 2 copies of the blue gene making them the splash and a blue bird only has one copy of the blue gene just making them blue. When blue is mated to blue you will/can get Blue, Black and Splash babies. This is why they say that Blue does not breed true. So no fears my friend you did get blue Marans, they are just Splash Marans.
smile.png
Blue is a dilute of black, one copy of the blue gene will turn/dilute what would normally be black on a bird to blue. 2 copies of the blue gene dilutes even further to splash (also allowing for random light to dark blue feathers in the body.
They are adorable I just hatched out 3 little splash babies too. I love them!

They (splash) can have a little yellow tinge from time to time, it is not indicitive of anything........it's when the whole chick comes out definately yellow (your babies are not yellow, they are splash, I can also tell by the foot color in the first photo) that suggests that a person may have birds that carry recessive Wheaten genetics and some lines do carry it and yes, those lines do produce occassional Wheatens babies.

Hope this helps!

smile.png

Didolan,
Congratulations
Your splash babies are soooooooooooooo cute. I have never had splash anything but the trio of Blue Andulusians I have coming I am told will produce some slashes so I will see.
Karen in California

WOOZERS!!! Pinkchick, Kim just candled your welsummer eggs, oh man first of all they some of the most beautiful eggs I've ever seen, but check it out....Day 12 and 14 out of 15 are developing, only 1 clear!!! and that's on shipped eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom