Dark Egg Breeds Thread

In horses this would be a "feral stripe"...maybe they will be wilder than the others?
lau.gif

Sorry-couldn't help myself.
When i popped onto the dark eggs breed thread because of the variety in colors in the Splash Marans babies (yellow, pale yellow, grey, and yello/grey mottled they had a long explanation, but essentially they "grow into" their adult coloration. Perhaps this is just a variation of that...???
hu.gif

Quote:
My best friend has 2 speckled sussex to sell! here is the info - these are the same hatch that I did and have 2 speckled sussex in my flock. she's just downsizing, I think she has over 70 birds and is in Orinda

2 easter eggers
2 speckled sussex
1 black sex link
1 australorp
1 rhode island red

here is a link to the pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dyann.blaine/AvailableHens?authkey=Gv1sRgCOX04q_km-Dr5QE#

Do you know what she is asking for them? Wanna PM me with more details? Thanks, Cheryl

Pinkchick's wellie egg update - day 21 - 5:30am - AND Ziggy (my sppr roo) is crowing...yikes!

One just out, 2 pipped - strong hatchers!!

Just out

41441_wellie_just_out.jpg

New Olympic event - Egg Climbing!

41441_wellie_mountain_egg_climbing.jpg

Eyeliner?

41441_eyeliner.jpg

Quote:
wee.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
bun.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif

Hear me RAWR!!!!!!! I'm sooooo happy Cheryl! Yep...looks like eyeliner....but the best time to tell is after they are all puffed up and dried off at about 24 hours. Good luck and come on BABIES!!!!!!!!
fl.gif

Can you post over in the Wellie thread too Cheryl? I know some folks over there are patiently waiting to hear and see news of these babies.

Ohhhh----I'm so stinkin' excited!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Hello all! I acquired a BCM cross awhile ago and thought I would post her pictures here! She is Black Copper Maran (Dad) and I believe her Mom was Penedesenca x Blue Ameraucana to produce an olive egger. She doesn't lay an olive egg, but she lays the MOST beautiful dark brown reddish eggs! She is a sweet girl and her name is Abby. She lays nearly every day!

Her eggs are the darkest of this bunch.
big_smile.png

NewChickens002.jpg

NewChickens005.jpg

Here is Abby!
NewChickens039.jpg

NewChickens033.jpg

NewChickens032.jpg

NewChickens028.jpg

She is very sweet
big_smile.png
If this is the WRONG place to post just let me know!! I wasn't sure whether to post her under the Easter Egger thread, or Marans thread, so found a happy medium here!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Abby is a very beautiful hen and yes, I would love to have a hen that laid those beautiful eggs....Thanks for sharing with us.

Quote:
2 years ago, I bought Cuckoo Maran and Welsummer pullet chicks through a combined Poultry Club chick order. of those 10, maybe 2 of each laid the absolute darkest eggs.. like milk chocolate.. the others.. eh..I've had RIR's lay darker. Anyway. My Black (Blehm bloodlines) Americauna rooster took a fancy to some of the girls. I tossed a few of the darkest eggs under the silkies and kept the pullets that hatched. Wouldn't you know. They ALL laid blue eggs.. Not even dark blue.. So, I think the rooster carries the egg shell colour factor.. Is this a theory or a fact?

Hi all, I just updated my blog, http://rarechickens.blogspot.com/.

Added
recent pics of eggs, etc.

I don't have eggs available yet, but I have been hatching, and have set only 5 plus & darker eggs so have some chicks available. Yes, I will be offering those "dark" eggs as soon as I get enough for myself! LOL

Sue

Back
Top Bottom