Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Nice work Cheryl~
yippiechickie.gif
Now if you can just teach Ziggy to sleep in...

And Abby is a lovely hen, morgan7782!!

Quote:
2 years ago, I bought Cuckoo Maran and Welsummer pullet chicks through a combined Poultry Club chick order. of those 10, maybe 2 of each laid the absolute darkest eggs.. like milk chocolate.. the others.. eh..I've had RIR's lay darker. Anyway. My Black (Blehm bloodlines) Americauna rooster took a fancy to some of the girls. I tossed a few of the darkest eggs under the silkies and kept the pullets that hatched. Wouldn't you know. They ALL laid blue eggs.. Not even dark blue.. So, I think the rooster carries the egg shell colour factor.. Is this a theory or a fact?

I'm not sure, but I think blue egg gene is dominant. Anyone else?

The Marans were approved by the judge at the Newnan show yesterday...

Sue

Sue

Quote:
I think I'd be questioning why the one, in the second pic, has a yellow comb and feet?? May be something else in the woodpile there!

Quote:
I think I'd be questioning why the one, in the second pic, has a yellow comb and feet?? May be something else in the woodpile there!

Yes, where did you get those chicks? Or eggs? From a breeder who also breeds Olive Eggers? ????

Quote:
Looks like you have a couple of birchen hens. They can come from blackcoppers.

Sue

Debbie wrote: I think I'd be questioning why the one, in the second pic, has a yellow comb and feet?? May be something else in the woodpile there!
Medicine Man wrote: Yes, where did you get those chicks? Or eggs? From a breeder who also breeds Olive Eggers? ????

Oh dear. So, the cockerels with the white ruffs are Birchen? and the only one of the bunch that has feathered shanks has yellow legs, which is NOT gogod, I take it. Sigh. the only female is cleaned legged, but no white neck feathers. Was I had???
roll.png

Dawn, I think the white feathers could be the chicks white down/baby fluff still lingering, not necessarily Birchen genes being expressed... just my opinion. As for the yellow legs, that is a no no within the breed, but if you aren't planning to breed these guys I don't see how it would matter.

I doubt they're birchen. As Jeremy stated, it's probably just some white peach fuzzz.

I'm still dying to know the origin of the yellow-legged Marans. Which breeder has tainted Marans with EEs?

Back
Top Bottom