Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote: THank you for the reminder!
bow.gif

Please clarify this. " Only the best chicks will have the white" Do you mean when the grow their first set of feathers, there is a lot of white feathers on the wing? RIght?

Last edited:
Don, What's the longest you held onto a bird with white feathers? Pip here, will be two years old this month, and he never had a white feather until about 5 months ago. So what happens then? If you had the same scenario where there were no white feathers, and you bred this roo to all the hens, will you end up with white feathered birds down the line at a later date? Do you just cull out all white after adult molt?
Debbi, I cull anything with the white in wing, tail and undercolor after the Juve molt. I also cull any of the males with copper or brown in the breast after the Juve molt. The mossy female are also culled from the flock. Do this for at least two year and you will not even recognize your own flock.

Debbi, I cull anything with the white in wing, tail and undercolor after the Juve molt. I also cull any of the males with copper or brown in the breast after the Juve molt. The mossy female are also culled from the flock. Do this for at least two year and you will not even recognize your own flock.
Thanks. I am getting better with the culling, quite liberating actually! I may just go ahead and disperse of the whole BCM flock and start over. I kept the best I had, but I am still not pleased. Hopefully, I will have a more strict eye when it comes to the Wheatens.

Thanks. I am getting better with the culling, quite liberating actually! I may just go ahead and disperse of the whole BCM flock and start over. I kept the best I had, but I am still not pleased. Hopefully, I will have a more strict eye when it comes to the Wheatens.
Debbi, You know the two girls that I would go to for BC and no one else. For the wheaten you have the name of the girl in Ohio that has the best being showed at present.

Hi!
Once upon a time I posted on this thread! Thanks for the invite back, Arielle!
I have Splash Marans who didn't lay for three months. Just got three nice eggs from one hen finally this week. Good size and color for Splash!
Added some Double laced blue barnevelders I raised from chicks this Spring, who are POL now. Not very friendly girls, but oh well. I am looking forward to seeing what color egg they will lay! :)

Back
Top Bottom