Dark Egg Breeds Thread

I get eggs like that from time to time for my birds I get eggs like that from time to time for my birds its not a problem with the bloom. it's nothing to worry about I've actually had no problem hatching those eggs either I have 3 birds in my flock from those eggs it's a perfectly normal thing that happens from time to time it's funny to get that egg wet it returns to normal until it dries out

I tried lights one winter and had blood spots appear in my marans eggs. According to some research I did, some breeds of chickens can be extra sensitive to lights suddenly coming on and off. As soon as Spring came around, I stopped using the lights and the blood spots went away. Some folks suggested that I use a dimmer to gradually introduce the light. Others suggested that I use a lower wattage lightbulb. I decided to do nothing and have not use lights since :)
Lisa, the only Blood spot eggs I have ever got from my Marans was from BC females and never anything else.Light had no effect on my hens as some were inside during the winter and others outside with no light ever. With my Marans the lights were no involved with the blood spots.

Going to look at some large fowl today.

I only had issues with blood spots the one winter I decided to add lights to the coops. The girls were only around a year old then. I still have the same girls. They are turning 3 this winter. I know my issues were the result of the lights. They started as soon as I started using the lights. They stopped when I stopped using the lights.

Don, did your coop lights stay on 24/7? I read that it was the sudden switching on / off of the lights that could cause the problem.

The blood spots can be very red in color and very gross. Meat spots tend to be much smaller and brown in color. Neither are harmful to eat, BUT the blood spots can be real gross!

I had the same issue last spring when I used lights. Tiny black-red spots in the eggs. HOnestly , I thought it was pigment in the wrong place; maybe I just don't fully understand what a blood spot looks like in an egg.
hu.gif

Otherwise you let the marans follow the natural light cycle??

Very Appetizing don't you think ? ? ?
Blood Spots

Meat Spots aren't so hard on my stomach...
They look more like big pieces of black pepper.

I only had issues with blood spots the one winter I decided to add lights to the coops. The girls were only around a year old then. I still have the same girls. They are turning 3 this winter. I know my issues were the result of the lights. They started as soon as I started using the lights. They stopped when I stopped using the lights.

Don, did your coop lights stay on 24/7? I read that it was the sudden switching on / off of the lights that could cause the problem.
Lisa, the inside lights are on 24 and 7 when I have birds inside.

Quote: So does anyone know why they have these spots, I get them and don't use a light. In the morning it gradually lightens in the coop. So can't understand. Not all of my Marans just a few. I got rid of one, not to long ago, because if she wasn't laying gross eggs, she was broody.

Hi All,
My understanding is lights are used to extend egg laying time by giving hens more time to eat food.
There are timers which will gradually dim lights enabling the birds to get on their perch for the night instead of having them suddenly stressed out when the light goes off.
Using two or three timers would be a way to gradually decrease light in the coop without a sudden turn off. For example 200 watt on timer one, 75 watt on timer two and 15 watt on timer three.

IMO, blood in an egg is either from stress or diet. It is possible a hen in a flock is not getting adequate food because she is on the bottom of the pecking order.

So does anyone know why they have these spots, I get them and don't use a light. In the morning it gradually lightens in the coop. So can't understand. Not all of my Marans just a few. I got rid of one, not to long ago, because if she wasn't laying gross eggs, she was broody.
I did some research when it was happening in my flock and found the possible causes...

1.) Genetics...
2.) Age... either very young or very old layers can pass blood spots.
3.) Stress ... including sudden shocks like lights being suddenly turned on or off
4.) Diet

Hi All,
My understanding is lights are used to extend egg laying time by giving hens more time to eat food.
There are timers which will gradually dim lights enabling the birds to get on their perch for the night instead of having them suddenly stressed out when the light goes off.
Using two or three timers would be a way to gradually decrease light in the coop without a sudden turn off. For example 200 watt on timer one, 75 watt on timer two and 15 watt on timer three.

IMO, blood in an egg is either from stress or diet. It is possible a hen in a flock is not getting adequate food because she is on the bottom of the pecking order.

I definitely believe it stress and diet. I have not had or seen a problem with running lights . all this talk about gradually dimming the lights just not work for me and my coop. I simply have lights come on in the morning. an hour in the morning when it's still dark is much better than an hour in the evening. that way the roost problem is solved. as far as blood in the eggs. there's something causing blood vessels to rupture and add blood to the egg. diet is the only thing that makes sense to me. 2 years ago there seem to be an epidemic of blood in theeggs
i wonder if there was something wrong with the food everybody was using back then. coulda been something wrong with the layer crumbles?

Last edited:
The blood spots can be very red in color and very gross. Meat spots tend to be much smaller and brown in color. Neither are harmful to eat, BUT the blood spots can be real gross!

Quote: Since having my own chickens and breaking a lot of eggs, this is minor.

I turned off all the lights last week to let the girls have some time to molt. Up until then , DH made sure every one was in and lights out at 8 pm, after everyone had found a seat for the night! LOL

Will this really help them molt? Or will they molt anyway?

Back
Top Bottom