Dark Liquid on chest - please help

Treerooted

Crowing
Dec 19, 2016
ON, Canada
While butchering our chickens (did 7 that day) one of them had a dark brownish liquid sac on the skin on the chest. It was large enough that the sac was punctured and leaked (which was washed off thoroughly of course).

Anyone know what this could be? All my searching could not come up with an answer.

And of course the follow-up is "safe to eat?".

It was my husband who butchered this chicken and unfortunately didn't think to take a picture. Please bare with me if you need further details.

Additional details: This was last week (so it's been 6 days), the chicken did not appear sick, nor do any other chickens. It was getting picked on though, and would fly over the fence in the morning to spend most of the day alone free ranging on my property.

Sounds like and injury of some sort. A cut that was full of puss, or maybe a cyst of some sort.

I would take a closer look at it. Pull or cut the skin around it and look at the meat. Anything off colored (bruised, reddish, brown) should be cut off the carcass before it is stored/frozen.

I can't say for certain what it was, or if the bird is safe to eat.

Ok thanks for the input. Because I didn't get the chance to see it myself, it's made researching the possibilities difficult.

I was wondering if it might be congealed/old blood from an injury of some sort. The sac was completely removed and the chicken thoroughly washed. The carcass looks fine.

Seems okay to me. Just be sure to cook it fully. I've only eaten a couple chickens that were home grown. But I know I wouldn't be too concerned about a blister or a cut on the bird.

It sounds like a breast blister/keel cyst. They get them when they put pressure on the chest when they roost. Maybe she was roosting somewhere weird because she was getting picked on?
I had a set of meat birds develop them when they insisted on roosting on a 3/4" edge.
Nothing to worry about but they are kind of gross, I cut them off during processing.
Some pics and more info in this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cysts-on-chickens-just-processed.700912/

Thanks @WVForestGirl , he was roosting all sorts of places because some nights I couldn't find him to put him back in the coop! I do still wonder about the darkness of it though.

Also update: We ate the meat, everyone was fine.

Not sure what causes the color, I'm thinking maybe broken down blood cells? I'm sure there's a good amount of bruising involved when one of these forms. The ones mine had were also filled with a dark fluid. Kind of the shade of sherry.
I'm glad you ate the meat, and that everyone is fine.

Not sure what causes the color, I'm thinking maybe broken down blood cells? I'm sure there's a good amount of bruising involved when one of these forms. The ones mine had were also filled with a dark fluid. Kind of the shade of sherry.
I'm glad you ate the meat, and that everyone is fine.

Lol, thanks.

Yes, I'm guessing like a blood blister. Hopefully this thread will help someone else looking for some answers. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom