Cysts on chickens just processed?

countrygoddess

Songster
11 Years
Nov 16, 2008
Champlain Valley, Vermont
Yesterday, my husband and I starting processing 16 Barred Rock cockerels for meat. This is the first time we've ever done it, and it's going great. Question, though, for those of you in the know: today I noticed three of the four birds we processed had soft lumps over the keel. I cut one off because I was curious about it, and when sliced open, it was filled with an oily clear light yellow fluid and had no odor. The "cysts" are about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" long x 1/2" - 3/4" wide. The area under this "cyst" had a thickening of fat--right on the ridge of the keel. The birds were very, very healthy when killed. The only difference between yesterday and today is that I withheld feed for 24 hours before processing yesterday's four chickens (none of them had lumps), but I didn't with today's four chickens. Not sure if that has anything to do with it? Has anyone seen this? Any idea what the lumps are?

Last edited:
Hmm... Just did a little research and these would seem to be "keel cysts", a type of bursitis caused when there is pressure of the keel against wire floors, sharp roosts, or hard bedding. None of these apply to my birds. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent them? I understand that unless they become infected, they do no harm (and in fact, protect the keel--that is their function), but it doesn't look very appetizing on the carcass.

I've had them on roos I've picked up. I just trim off the whole cyst (so there's a hole in the skin over the keel), and call it good. As for avoidance, no tips there :)

Heh, you can aspirate them, I just didn't care for the inside "skin" part of the cyst. Of course, I'm the one in the family who eats all the roasted chicken skin! That's my favorite part :)

Back
Top Bottom