Daughter’s Pekin Died Suddenly

Depending on what they eat their poop can change from a somewhat solid to a bit runny. What should I look for - I can’t have this other female get sick.
Did she ever have blood in her poop? Or was she not pooping at all? Not pooping at all is a symptom of her being egg-bound. I had ducks before, and one died suddenly like your case here. She was egg-bound.

Good point - I have river rock surrounding their water buckets. The ducks get fresh water and the buckets are automatically cleaned every 4 hours so I made sure drainage was good to keep their pen area as dry as possible. All of the rocks are egg size or larger to eliminate the risk of them choking on or swallowing a rock that may cause an obstruction. I can’t rule out them eating a big piece of mulch though since we have it circuling the duck hut and a nearby log shed.

I only noticed a reduction in pooping yesterday when I initially found her just laying around. She didnt really eat much from what I can see yesterday. Prior to yesterday she was running around the yard, eating and pooping the same as usual so whatever it was hit her hard all in 1 day. The only thing I can imagine is some sort of obstruction with her eggs or bowel. Leading up to mid August she and the other female duck normally laid 1 egg each per day 5-7 days a week with only an occasional 2 day stretch of no eggs. We had a heat spell about a month ago and last week temps were near 100 again. My daughter is devastated - last year this same week she lost her first duck when it was killed by a hawk. The other ducks are mourning the loss too. They are extra loud this morning and are looking for the duck that passed away. I never thought I’d get attached to ducks like I have —- this stinks…..

I only noticed a reduction in pooping yesterday when I initially found her just laying around. She didnt really eat much from what I can see yesterday. Prior to yesterday she was running around the yard, eating and pooping the same as usual so whatever it was hit her hard all in 1 day. The only thing I can imagine is some sort of obstruction with her eggs or bowel. Leading up to mid August she and the other female duck normally laid 1 egg each per day 5-7 days a week with only an occasional 2 day stretch of no eggs. We had a heat spell about a month ago and last week temps were near 100 again. My daughter is devastated - last year this same week she lost her first duck when it was killed by a hawk. The other ducks are mourning the loss too. They are extra loud this morning and are looking for the duck that passed away. I never thought I’d get attached to ducks like I have —- this stinks…..
I'm very sorry for your loss. I could not imagine this happening to another one of my chickens. If your other ducks are fine, maybe it was no kind of infection. I would agree that it was being egg-bound or a bowel obstruction. She could of ate something that could not pass.

I appreciate everyone‘s responses today. I’m thinking it was either an egg obstruction or something she ate. Neither of our females have produced eggs in several weeks (maybe 2-3 eggs at the most) which has me concerned about the surviving female. If we suspect egg bound as a problem with our other female what do we do? One other time the surviving female just didn’t act herself and hadn’t produced an egg like she normally did — we soaked her in a warm tub and the next morning she laid an egg and nearly immediately returned to herself. Anything else we should be doing? I live in the country and you would think there would be a vet close by that would look at a Duck. Not a chance — we called several that advertise Avian expertise and were given the run around. 3 week wait to see the vet — we need a Dr. Pol in every state.

Best thing to have on hand if you suspect egg bound is liquid Calcium gluconate it causes contractions so the egg moves. 1 ml to start and if that doesn't get it out you keep dosing every 12 hr until you get the egg. One member I think had to give around 5 doses before her duck finally laid. But it is still an awesome product to have on hand. @Aunt Angus

I appreciate everyone‘s responses today. I’m thinking it was either an egg obstruction or something she ate. Neither of our females have produced eggs in several weeks (maybe 2-3 eggs at the most) which has me concerned about the surviving female. If we suspect egg bound as a problem with our other female what do we do? One other time the surviving female just didn’t act herself and hadn’t produced an egg like she normally did — we soaked her in a warm tub and the next morning she laid an egg and nearly immediately returned to herself. Anything else we should be doing? I live in the country and you would think there would be a vet close by that would look at a Duck. Not a chance — we called several that advertise Avian expertise and were given the run around. 3 week wait to see the vet — we need a Dr. Pol in every state.
I hear ya. I live off in the country as well and there aren't any nearby vets that could look at my birds. I have to be their vet. Just continue feeding the ducks a balanced diet, and letting them get exercise. Waddling about like ducks do, and hopefully you will have no more trouble! Let us know if you notice anything abnormal though. That way maybe we can help to get the duck back to health, instead of unfortunately discussing causes of death. Thanks for reaching out! There are lots of people on BYC that are happy to help!

Back
Top Bottom