Day old chick cannot walk, falls on side

They are doing really well. Running and acting like chicks should.
1f603.png

I tried making a split for the black one. It is kind of making him straighten out his leg but not sure if this will really work. Now when he is resting he can't bend the knee so it's pointed out toward the side. I hope I am not trading one problem for the next.

The yellow chick is in a tall glass that is forcing him to keep his legs under him and work on standing. He climbs out of the sock chair and refuses to stay in it.

After reading ALOT and watching ALOT of videos I am positive that the black chick has a slipped tendon. I can replace it and it looks normal but as soon as I let it go it comes back out. I'm gonna try vet tape and a sling chair and hope that works.

After reading ALOT and watching ALOT of videos I am positive that the black chick has a slipped tendon. I can replace it and it looks normal but as soon as I let it go it comes back out. I'm gonna try vet tape and a sling chair and hope that works.

If you hobble his legs does it stay in place?

-Kathy

Last edited:
He won't move w it on. We put one on last night and he pecked it til it came off. I think vet tape may hold in place.

He won't move w it on. We put one on last night and he pecked it til it came off. I think vet tape may hold in place.

The two I was able to fix I did by putting them in a sling with their legs hobbled. It's been my experience that once the hock joint gets too swollen they won't heal.

Kathy

Ok. Well I guess the good news is right now when I replace it there is no swelling. So fingers crossed I caught it in time.

Back
Top Bottom