Day old chick cannot walk, falls on side

kuchchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2015
I just had a hatch complete today. I am very pleased with the result - 16/17 hatched. All looked very healthy upon hatching but I now have a 12 hour old chick that cannot walk. He is able to kind of stand very briefly and then when he tries to walk ends up rolling over on one side or the other. If he is up against a wall he walks with this back on the wall, kind of on his side. Both legs are going in the same direction. I did try to put him in a cup to force him to kind of exercise his legs but he did not like being separated. His legs are strong enough that he can push himself up and out of the cup to get back with the other chicks. Our feed store is closed for the night so I got some Pedialyte from CVS and was able to get him to drink a little. He has not eaten yet. Right now sleeping under the heat lamp. Any ideas as to what is wrong or what I can do? Is there any hope?!!!

I'd suggest that you get some Poultry Nutri-Drench. You can put a drop to the side of his beak, and he should draw it in and swallow it. You can give it full strength several times/day. If he doesn't come around in 2 - 3 days, you may need to cull him. congrats on the good hatch.

Thought of that but both legs in same direction. I've read a little on it but not sure I could ID it.

Are both legs bending like they should? Or stretched out straight? I'm wondering maybe a hip issue. Displaced possibly?

Just throwing out thoughts...

They seem to work ok for a quick second. Like I said he's strong enough to climb out of a cup. This is him sitting in a deep Tupperware.

My daughter was holding him and trying to help him balance. He can do it for about 2 secs before he falls back over.

I just had a hatch complete today.  I am very pleased with the result - 16/17 hatched.  All looked very healthy upon hatching but I now have a 12 hour old chick that cannot walk.  He is able to kind of stand very briefly and then when he tries to walk ends up rolling over on one side or the other.  If he is up against a wall he walks with this back on the wall, kind of on his side.  Both legs are going in the same direction.  I did try to put him in a cup to force him to kind of exercise his legs but he did not like being separated.  His legs are strong enough that he can push himself up and out of the cup to get back with the other chicks.  Our feed store is closed for the night so I got some Pedialyte from CVS and was able to get him to drink a little.  He has not eaten yet.  Right now sleeping under the heat lamp.  Any ideas as to what is wrong or what I can do?  Is there any hope?!!!

I think there is always hope! However, i had a sweet tiny silkie who had a rough hatch that never was able to remain upright. I loved her very much and gave her electrolytes, vitamins and egg yolk. I even made her a little seat kind of like a baby saucer/bouncy seat. Her name was willow and she died in her sleep at 7 days old. Don't let it discourage you from helping yours, though. I would help again if i could do it over because you just never know. Willow in her special seat at about 5 days:

Back
Top Bottom