Day old chick with fused/webbed toes

Littlechickies12

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
Posting here for some advice/help (Originally posted in a different forum). Has anyone ever had a chick with fused or webbed toes? I have a day old baby with its middle toe connected to the outside toe. The left looks more like it has webbing in between the toes but on the right foot the tips of the toes are possibly touching (photos attached). The chick is lively, eating and drinking, and also getting around ok. Just a touch clumsy at times. Is there anything I can do? Or is it best to leave like this? The middle toe on the right foot is curling out quite a bit. Will cause pain in the long run? I have been some will cut the webbing in between, but was hoping to find some advice on this. This chick will have a lot of care and attention with 4 or 5 others recent hatches.

Attachments

• tempImageSvJvxv.png
    tempImageSvJvxv.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • tempImage60C1RC.png
    tempImage60C1RC.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • tempImageewdoZD.png
    tempImageewdoZD.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
You could disinfect the feet thoroughly and use a scalpel to cut the webbing.
Then disinfect again and have styptic powder at hand to immediately stop any bleeding. Keep the little guy separate but in sight from the other chicks until the feet are fully healed. You could use a little grid frame inside the brooder so his feet will not get pecked.

Could you post some more pictures of the chick without red light? With feet like this I would expect ir to have some more issues going on.

You could disinfect the feet thoroughly and use a scalpel to cut the webbing.
Then disinfect again and have styptic powder at hand to immediately stop any bleeding. Keep the little guy separate but in sight from the other chicks until the feet are fully healed. You could use a little grid frame inside the brooder so his feet will not get pecked.

Could you post some more pictures of the chick without red light? With feet like this I would expect ir to have some more issues going on.

Are both eyes clear and is it able to see with both eyes?
Yes, they look bright and clear. Seems to see just fine. I can't notice any difference from the others. Ill try get a closer photo but my phone camera isn't the best!

Back
Top Bottom