De-Pluming Mites VERY effective Treatment I stumbled across!!!

Oh thank you! So how long after the bath did you put the ivermectin pour drops on??

How many drops?? My girl is a smaller EE, probably only 3.5 pounds

This thread is very interesting. My chickens have been through a lot this year and I thought they were suffering stress from multiple predator attacks. I had 9 chickens in the spring and lost 6 of them to neighbor's dog and a fox over the course of 2 months. Of the 3 remaining hens, 2 were an older pair that have been inseparable buddies since birth, luckily they still have each other. The other is the lone survivor of last spring's brood of 6 and she is now a misfit having lost all of her brood and seeing and escaping all those attacks.

I bought 6 more chicks this spring (actually, the new baby chicks arrived the same day as the attacks began on the outdoor flock.)They have been outside since June and have joined in the flock of 3. But, sadly, since Labor Day weekend, the neighbors dog has killed 4 of my latest brood.

I now have a total of 5 chickens left. My two oldest hens just moulted and look healthy. My single 1 year old is the one in question and she has witnessed the most carnage and lost all of her brood. My two 6-month-olds have beautiful feathering.

The 1 remaining 1-year-old hen had damage to her feathers in the spring. It was during the 2 month period when the fox and dog were coming round. It appeared to me then that she had narrowly escaped the grip of a predator that had her sides and she somehow wiggled away to safety. So, when she started to get bald patches on both sides of her neck last month, I thought it was either stress (she has trouble fitting in as she is now a loner) or she was starting to moult.

After reading this forum, I am wondering if this is actually de-plumage mites. I took another look at her after reading about de-plumage mites and she in fact has a tail feather that appears a bit stripped. The sides of her neck are completely bare patches but it looks like normal healthy skin, not red or angry. Not entirely sure what to think, but don't want to wait until they are all suffering if this is an early sign.

So, I am thinking they all need to be treated, especially since they are all locked up due to the latest dog attacks. They are all tolerant of confinement (2 EE, 1 Wyandotte, 1 Marans, 1 Mille fleur d'uccle) so not damaging themselves in coop. But, they are, of course, in close proximity to one another all of the time so sharing anything one might have such as de-plumage mites.

I looked up the Sebozole and see that I can purchase it on-line, but I will have to see if my dog or horse vet will be willing to fill the prescription. My hens have never had a vet, so I am not sure how that will go. I also found Malaseb that folks use for dogs and horses and it has similar ingredients (. Oddly, it appears that Malaseb doesn't need a script. Has anyone used Malaseb for poultry?

Sebozole• 2% MICONAZOLE NITRATE and 1% CHLOROXYLENOL (Rx)

Malaseb 2% MICONAZOLE NITRATE and 2% CHLOROHEXIDINE GLUCONATE (no Rx)

Any thoughts? Do I need a vet? Do you all just contact your regular vet? I am not sure who does poultry in my area. I have dogs and horses but my horse vet is equine only. Not sure about the small animal vets here.

Hi War Chicken,
could you tell me how much Metronidazole you use for how big a chicken. I have dwarf chicken so I guess I need to work it out myself.
Regards

Are you sure you want to give an antibiotic to treat mites? Not sure I would. If you do decide to, the max daily dose is 45 mg per pound. More than that might not be safe.

-Kathy

Metronidazole is very high on the UNAPPROVED list for use in poultry, because of it's great importance in human medicine. Permethrin will kill mites and lice and is approved for use, so there's no reason to use miconizole products instead. I will use Ivermectin occasionally as a wormer, but since discovering permethrin spray, that's my choice for external parasites. Spinosad is a good alternative there, although more expensive and harder to find. Chickens are not dogs or cats, and different rules apply. Mary

Metronidazole is very high on the UNAPPROVED list for use in poultry, because of it's great importance in human medicine.  Permethrin will kill mites and lice and is approved for use, so there's no reason to use miconizole products instead.  I will use Ivermectin occasionally as a wormer, but since discovering permethrin spray, that's my choice for external parasites.  Spinosad is a good alternative there, although more expensive and harder to find.  Chickens are not dogs or cats, and different rules apply.  Mary

Quite right, lol, I forgot about that! It's more than just unapproved, it's actually on the list of drugs banned drugs. I have peafowl, turkeys, and yearly cases of blackhead, so I have to have to use it.

-Kathy

So I have been battling The Depluming Mite recently. I have silkies so these are hard to detect on them unless you do a daily head check.
In the summer I bought a Rooster and added him to the coop.
After a couple months he got this Nasty looking crusty stuff on his head & skin around his eyes, I had never seen anything like this Basically just on his head!!! but affects all the skin around the eyes too!
( Lady I bought him from is reputable and told me she rescued him living in Deplorable condition's but had been treating him for Mites/lice ect. and she thought she had FINALLY prevailed against it.
He looked really good when I bought him.. no signs of any pests.... Long story short...I believe he brought this De-pluming mite to my coop UUUUGH!
I did rehome him and let them know what I had been dealing with!
Since then... this Mite will crop up on just one or two but is a pain it my Patushky!!! lol
The BEST most effective treatment that I have found is Bringing the Chicken in the house and bathing it with a Product I bought from the Vet it is a shampoo from VET solution's and it is a Medicated Shampoo for dogs,cats,horses. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS : Miconazole Nitrate 2% Chloroxylenol 1% The Name of it is SEBOZOLE
I put about a Nickle size amount in the water and stir the water well and then put the chicken in there and bathe them Head and all and let them soak about 15 minutes then... just rinse Quickly leaving most of the solution on them ( I just barely run clear warm water over them & then I place them in a towel and blow dry them.
This stuff works WONDERS and the chickens hair will start growing back fast!
De-scales and KILLS those mites and STOPS the itch & SOOTHES the skin! My dog had ringworm from a wild rabbit so she had prescribed this with the bathing instructions so when I seen this Mite ( because it buries under the skin and hatches Live young ) My Common Sense kicked it and I tried it & IT WORKED!!!! Now this is what I bathe all my chickens in If troubles crop up!!! I wanted to share it is AMAZING the relief they get from this!!!!
Thank you! I'm so glad I found your post. I ordered the shampoo and after I bathed my rooster the tub had thousands of dead mites in it! It was unbelievable how many there were because I had never seen a mite on him since they were burrowed, but he was crusty and itchy and losing feathers. He is so much more comfortable now.

I wasn't able to get all of the crust off of him, so I'm going to bathe him again in a few days to hopefully help him shed it all.

So I have been battling The Depluming Mite recently. I have silkies so these are hard to detect on them unless you do a daily head check.
After a couple months he got this Nasty looking crusty stuff on his head & skin around his eyes, I had never seen anything like this Basically just on his head!!! but affects all the skin around the eyes too!
( Lady I bought him from is reputable and told me she rescued him living in Deplorable condition's but had been treating him for Mites/lice ect. and she thought she had FINALLY prevailed against it.
He looked really good when I bought him.. no signs of any pests.... Long story short...I believe he brought this De-pluming mite to my coop UUUUGH!
Since then... this Mite will crop up on just one or two but is a pain it my Patushky!!! lol
The BEST most effective treatment that I have found is Bringing the Chicken in the house and bathing it with a Product I bought from the Vet it is a shampoo from VET solution's and it is a Medicated Shampoo for dogs,cats,horses. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS : Miconazole Nitrate 2% Chloroxylenol 1% The Name of it is SEBOZOLE
I put about a Nickle size amount in the water and stir the water well and then put the chicken in there and bathe them Head and all and let them soak about 15 minutes then... just rinse Quickly leaving most of the solution on them ( I just barely run clear warm water over them & then I place them in a towel and blow dry them.
De-scales and KILLS those mites and STOPS the itch & SOOTHES the skin! My dog had ringworm from a wild rabbit so she had prescribed this with the bathing instructions so when I seen this Mite ( because it buries under the skin and hatches Live young ) My Common Sense kicked it and I tried it & IT WORKED!!!! Now this is what I bathe all my chickens in If troubles crop up!!! I wanted to share it is AMAZING the relief they get from this!!!!
I am doing this tomorrow. I have dewormed and used permethrin spray and poultry dust and cleaned the coop and my chickens are gaining a little weight but they still look like crap. They’re still too small and their losing feathers and the ones they have are in poor shape. I’m at my wits end. I know it may not be approved but I’ve got to do something that works.

I did the bath in the morning plus ivermectin in the evening. The morning to evening difference with the bath alone was remarkable but by next morning we have waxy bright combs again on most all the birds.

I am so happy I found you. So essentially you just soak them in this solution of water and shampoo- you don’t have to scrub?

Attachments

• 7195E5C5-CC9C-4A31-AB36-CEADA5B6675A.jpeg
    7195E5C5-CC9C-4A31-AB36-CEADA5B6675A.jpeg
    616.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2ED63C99-5CEE-4C34-BE86-463CC14CE103.jpeg
    2ED63C99-5CEE-4C34-BE86-463CC14CE103.jpeg
    630.6 KB · Views: 4
  • B0039135-DE2A-49D0-9A68-0A1380926A95.jpeg
    B0039135-DE2A-49D0-9A68-0A1380926A95.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom