De-worming chickens.

Hi, I am new to BYC but have been reading on here for almost a year now. I love all of the ideas and the feel of community. This whole backyard flock is new to me as of last April or May and I have lost a few chickens to who know what??? My most recent was the beautiful white hen pictured. She was eggbound with a HUGE egg and as I tried to help her she died in my arms. Thanks to all of the info here though I learned a lot and it was very helpful.
The concern at hand ---I just wormed my chickens with Albendazole brand name Valbazen and $46 - ouch - since I had seen some tapeworms in the stools of one of them and it was the only thing I could find to treat tapeworms in chickens. I also treated with Sevin for mites and lice - which I did see a few lice around the vents of a couple of them and they were picking at themselves a lot. I will repeat both of these treatments in 7 days as well as a good cleaning of the coops.
My question is this - does anyone know if it would be safe to feed the eggs to the girls if hard boiled during these treatments? Since they are getting the meds anyway and I am getting eggs I hate to just throw them all out if they can be used. Also if they are cooked it should kill anything that may have gotten into them I would think. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on this?!
Thanks so much.

Hi, I am new to BYC but have been reading on here for almost a year now. I love all of the ideas and the feel of community. This whole backyard flock is new to me as of last April or May and I have lost a few chickens to who know what??? My most recent was the beautiful white hen pictured. She was eggbound with a HUGE egg and as I tried to help her she died in my arms. Thanks to all of the info here though I learned a lot and it was very helpful.
The concern at hand ---I just wormed my chickens with Albendazole brand name Valbazen and $46 - ouch - since I had seen some tapeworms in the stools of one of them and it was the only thing I could find to treat tapeworms in chickens. I also treated with Sevin for mites and lice - which I did see a few lice around the vents of a couple of them and they were picking at themselves a lot. I will repeat both of these treatments in 7 days as well as a good cleaning of the coops.
My question is this - does anyone know if it would be safe to feed the eggs to the girls if hard boiled during these treatments? Since they are getting the meds anyway and I am getting eggs I hate to just throw them all out if they can be used. Also if they are cooked it should kill anything that may have gotten into them I would think. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on this?!
Thanks so much.
There's residue in the eggs. Feeding them back to your chickens will eventually help worms build resistance to the wormer, not to mention extending the withdrawal period. Give the eggs to your dogs.

Thank you. I had already given them a few but planned to stop after the second worming this coming Monday. Will go ahead and stop giving them to them now. I know my dog will enjoy them!!! Thanks for the reply.

Hi again. Yesterday I administered the 2nd dose of Valbazen to my 7 hens. Whew!!! I think one of the "twins" got a second dose. Thought I was done and started counting down the days to fresh eggs again. THEN I get back on here today looking for the recommendation to F/U with cat food and I saw it has been recommended to worm yet a third time...OMG! I did see tape segments in one of the stools before I started the worming but have not seen ANYTHING since even upon close visual examination. Also have dusted twice with Sevin during this time since I did see lice around the vents on a couple of them. SO my question is...do I really deworm a third time with the Valbazen?

Thanks again!

Just talked to our vet today and he said that he does not recommend routine worming because of the resistance to the wormer that occurs.

He also warns that Valbazen stays in the chicken's body a long time and has more side effects than Ivermectin, primarily liver damage to the chicken.

This Avian and Zoo veterinarian recommended that BYC members take a bag of poop from the coop to a local vet. Or contact your 4-H office and ask how you can
find out if your chicken flock even has worms and what kind they are.

Some Humane Societies will help with a fecal check and vet advice. And veterinary colleges routinely do fecal checks for local smaller and moderate scale chicken owners.

I hope everyone realizes that the advice the chicken owners give each other on this site may or may not be good advice and there could even be financial motives for products to be promoted to us via this website.

We do have resources in our communities to verify the health of our flock and then to find the best course of action if we have a problem with our flock. Some advice that we get on the BYC forum may be incorrect or perhaps just not the best advice that we could get if we checked with knowledgable people in our community.

Our vet reassured me that many many vets will help BYC folks test their flocks and will not make them bring their chickens into the office unnecessarily.
Thank you for posting this info! I was thinking I needed to worm my baby chicks but wouldn't be able to use that stuff anyway. But someone had told me about this stuff for larger chickens and I'm glad I read this now because I don't want to do them harm NOR us harm either!
So what do YOU use to worm yours with? My chicks are about a month old now and then I have some 2 weeks younger than they are.

what do you put in their water to de worm i was thinking vinnagar buy no they wouldnt drink their water if i tried....
sickbyc.gif

Can you dump the inside and save and bake the shells for the garden or the chickens? I hate to waste a month of eggs, and if any of it can be salvaged I would like to.

Flock Master.....If I put wazine in my chickens water how long do I leave it 1 day?,It don't say on the bottle I have 2 adult hens 1 blk sex link 1 silky,and 14 chicks10 weeks old 2 are crossed blk sex link+silky and the other 12 are silky, I let them out to free rang during the day they seem to drink the water in the pen when they go in in the afternoon, How can I be sure? Is there any way to give each one the wazine another way ,I've only noticed a worm in the blk sex link hen,it was a long skinny worm. Thanks so much for your time.

Back
Top Bottom