De-worming chickens.

TheBigWRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Wenatchee, Washington
I just de-wormed my chickens today with valbazen. Has anyone tried this de-wormer before? I've read it's the best. How long do I need to wait before I eat the eggs again? It sure was annoying having to catch everyone and shove liquid down their throats! I would have rather used one that can go in their water, but I wanted to use the best. My chickens defiantly weren't happy with me today
roll.png

14 days is the most recommended time but like all wormers it isn't approved for use on chickens so it is up to the user to use there own judgement.

Quote:
Sounds scary, who recommended this for your chickens?
Valbazen
00ae.png
Oral Suspension (Active ingredient: Albendazole) - Pfizer Animal Health
Albendazole has been reported to be effective in the treatment of capillaria, ascaridia, heterakis, and
tape worms in chickens. It has been labeled only for cattle and sheep. There is no poultry data
available. Settling in drinker lines has not been reported as has been seen with other anthelmentics in
this class. Cattle require a 7 day withdrawal and sheep require a 7 day withdrawal pre-slaughter.
There is no available data on tissue or egg clearance time in poultry. There have been no reported
negative effects on the performance of broilers, pullets and hens. Valbazen is supplied in 500 ml,
1 liter, and 5 liter bottles of an 11.36% suspension. In chickens, the reported dose is 10 mg/kg of body
weight

Last edited:
I read an article on the Internet about how to get your birds to color up before a show. The articles says, most people use Piperazine but it only get round worms, and that Valbazen is a very broad spectrum wormer. It also says it will do the job without upsetting the birds. It says to mix 1 cc Valbazen with 8 cc of water, than give 2 cc of the solution down the throat. It can be repeated in 10 days and should be done every 6 to 8 weeks. I only plan on worming my chickens once a year, I think 6 weeks is too often, and as far as I know I have never had a problem with worms. So far everyone looks fine as of today.

I just had a chicken squat beside me and poop this morning and it was full of spaghetti like worms! EWWWW, sure is making it hard to get down my breakfast this morning...not eggs Oat Bran
smile.png
I haven't seen this in any other poop. I know I need to worm now. I also have a pair of ducklings maybe 4 weeks old they are separated from the chickens can/should I worm them also?

Quote:
Since you have never wormed start with wazine in the water then 10 days later follow with a second wormer I used safeguard paste last year a pea size on a piece of bread for each chicken. I don't know about ducks you will have to do some research on those. I think the ducklings are to young. Then set up a worming schedule that works in your area. I know some that worm once a year some worm every 3 months. Since it freezes here I only worm once a year. good luck Also after each wormer give some yogurt mixed with cat food a couple of days after each worming.

To the op I would go with a 14 day withdraw of eggs.

Quote:
Since you have never wormed start with wazine in the water then 10 days later follow with a second wormer I used safeguard paste last year a pea size on a piece of bread for each chicken. I don't know about ducks you will have to do some research on those. I think the ducklings are to young. Then set up a worming schedule that works in your area. I know some that worm once a year some worm every 3 months. Since it freezes here I only worm once a year. good luck Also after each wormer give some yogurt mixed with cat food a couple of days after each worming.

Thanks! I am calling So. States to make sure they have Wazine (they do). My chickens love cat food and yogurt won't be hard to get them to eat either...

The ducks are probably too young I hope they are protected, I have the ground in their small pen covered in sawdust and I change it every few days....

I just had another thought, my dog is in they same yard but he is on a heartworm pill that also protects against other worms, he should be ok???

We had several freezes this year so maybe I should do a spring worming? I also put DE and some cayenne on their food this morning, I had been giving them DE in their crumbles but slacked off doing so. This is a fairly new chicken I have had her about 2-3 months now, she looks good and has been laying.

I am hopping on my bicycle and headed to So. States.

Last edited:
Quote:

Thanks! I am calling So. States to make sure they have Wazine (they do). My chickens love cat food and yogurt won't be hard to get them to eat either...

The ducks are probably too young I hope they are protected, I have the ground in their small pen covered in sawdust and I change it every few days....

I just had another thought, my dog is in they same yard but he is on a heartworm pill that also protects against other worms, he should be ok???

We had several freezes this year so maybe I should do a spring worming? I also put DE and some cayenne on their food this morning, I had been giving them DE in their crumbles but slacked off doing so. This is a fairly new chicken I have had her about 2-3 months now, she looks good and has been laying.

I am hopping on my bicycle and headed to So. States.

DE is not a worm preventative nor a wormer (as you can attest.) Cayenne pepper might help in prevention, but not with an infestation as I suspect you have. If you're going to use wazine, worm all your chickens at once, then follow up 10 days later with valbazen or safeguard. I prefer to use valbazen, it kills all known worms that chickens can get, including tapeworms. ETA: your dog will be fine.

Last edited:
I figured it couldn't hurt with the DE and cayenne pepper, we still have quite a bit of DE left I do put it in their dirt bath areas.

Also, my dog likes to eat the chicken poop, will he still be ok?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom